PDA

View Full Version : Who thinks this Haddoni is bleached?

55semireef
08/15/2007, 05:00 PM
In another forum there was a debate of whether or not this Haddoni was bleached. Couple of the guys were saying that this is a a natural aqua blue color however I was saying that this Haddoni is definately bleached and this is not a healthy, naturally occuring color. What do you guys think?

55semireef
08/15/2007, 05:01 PM
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i263/cichlidfort/111-3.jpg

apayne
08/15/2007, 05:14 PM
Looks cool, but I think it is bleached.

Good luck with it, who's ever it is.
Aaron

rkelman
08/15/2007, 05:48 PM
Bleached...

GSMguy
08/15/2007, 06:22 PM
semi you and blue are right about this.... i saw the other thread.

its definetly bleached that mouth being brown means nothing at all.

55semireef
08/15/2007, 06:36 PM
GSMguy, did you read the whole thread? Most of those guys were blaming the bleached color on the camera and others were saying this is a rare natural color.

GSMguy
08/15/2007, 06:51 PM
i read it they are wrong, is the only thing i can come up with.
i think it looks healthy besides that not fighting any infection, but needs food light and time.

it looks like a bleached mint green

chrisstie
08/15/2007, 07:08 PM
I think with proper light and time that would come up to a green color.

It's color now looks akin to most bleached\stressed anemones that have for some reason lost some of their zooxanthellae. Things like shipping can stress them out and they can loose color like any other animal that has that symbiotic relationship.

OrionN
08/15/2007, 07:45 PM
It is not always easy to tell from picture. This anemone may not be bleached. When the anemone is bleached, it is translucent not milky white like this anemone. In addition to this, the mouth is brown. IMO, it is more likely a rare color than a bleached anemone.

55semireef
08/15/2007, 07:45 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10561451#post10561451 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by chrisstie
I think with proper light and time that would come up to a green color.

It's color now looks akin to most bleached\stressed anemones that have for some reason lost some of their zooxanthellae. Things like shipping can stress them out and they can loose color like any other animal that has that symbiotic relationship.

Chrisstie, did you read that thread in the ORCA forum? I agree with what you're saying as well.

OrionN, I use to own a somewhat bleached Haddoni pretty similar to the one in question just a different color. The mouth of it was a brownish, yellow color but it was still nonetheless bleached. In about two weeks, it colored up to a nice mint green. What I am getting out of this is I don't think the color of the mouth determines if it is bleached or not. I think it has more to do with the rest of the oral disk. I could be wrong but I was speculating off what I have experienced.

Here it was bleached:
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i263/cichlidfort/NewHaddoni005.jpg

Two weeks later:

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i263/cichlidfort/stuff093.jpg

Also, the color of zooxanthellae algae is brown/tan in color. If this Haddoni in question you said could be a rare color morph than why does it look so white?

Thanks

OrionN
08/15/2007, 08:21 PM
That anemone tentacles seem to be long and full. Certain area where the oral disk is convex, I can see brown oral disk under it. I think the color of that anemone is just white with very light green. I actually have a very light green anemone, but I don't jave enough light on it (only 150 MH) so the zooxanthellae is dense and it look brown with white green tip. Anemones, like corals have much less zooxanthellae under very bright light. It looks fully expanded and healthy in that picture. Only looking in person and knowing how long it have been like that we can tell if it is bleach or not.
I think it is more likely an anemone in good health.

OrionN
08/15/2007, 08:30 PM
Consider the anemone below. It is not bleached but one cannot see the brown color because the non transparent color of this anemone block the brown color of the zooxathellae. I don't think it is far fetch to speculate that instead of having green tip, the anemone in question may have white with slight green tinted color.
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/788IMG_5350.jpg

Pacific Reefs
08/15/2007, 08:36 PM
The owner just posted that the anemone turned red with hints of bright green within 2 months. So it did not remain that bleached looking color.

OrionN
08/15/2007, 08:42 PM
I would love to have a picture of what it look like now.
Can anybody ask the owner to post a picture of this anemone at this time?

bluerug
08/15/2007, 08:45 PM
I may be purchasing the anemone if it is indeed red.

SALT WATER CRAZ
08/15/2007, 08:48 PM
it looks bleached to me.

kkyyllee
08/15/2007, 09:00 PM
it deffinetly was bleached

55semireef
08/15/2007, 09:05 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10562095#post10562095 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by OrionN
[B]Consider the anemone below. It is not bleached but one cannot see the brown color because the non transparent color of this anemone block the brown color of the zooxathellae. I don't think it is far fetch to speculate that instead of having green tip, the anemone in question may have white with slight green tinted color.

The camera is probably throwing the true color off somewhat but it still seems to me that Haddoni has a lack of pigmentation. It's really hard to tell if the haddoni has zooxanthellae underneath it's tentacles or not. I would assume it does but the Haddoni looks to "white" to me.

I just pmed Flasher1 (the owner) to post a recent picture of it.

bluerug
08/15/2007, 09:26 PM
He wont have a camera for a couple of days, but i do plan on buying it if it is red.

marc price
08/15/2007, 11:43 PM
bluec,
not to put a damper on things but i once bought a amber colored s. haddoni which had a hint of green on the tips, it turned yellow/green (same color as the s. helianthus on p. 56 Inverts A Quick Ref Guide). i hated the color and got rid of it. it may be good idea to be cautious. the only red haddoni that i've seen was about the same red color and intensity of a traffic light when in my lfs's holding tanks. was lit by a 4'actinic and 4' 10k'ish standard fluorescent t12's. good luck.

flasher1
08/16/2007, 08:12 AM
The Picture really doesnt show what I am talking about becuase the nem has green tips. It basically is green in the pics. You have to come over to see what I am talking about.

This pic is without actinics and with flash. I suck at taking pics.
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa72/mrachesky/PICT1227.jpg

GSMguy
08/16/2007, 10:01 AM
well it looks much better and less bleached now time helps.

i still think it was bleached.

blacklake
08/16/2007, 11:26 AM
I think it looks fine it is open and full, it just needs a little better lighting and some time. Good luck.

Pacific Reefs
08/16/2007, 05:31 PM
Its sad that the LFS owner is selling them as teal carpets.

55semireef
08/16/2007, 06:18 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10568606#post10568606 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Pacific Reefs

Agreed.

Flasher1, thanks for doing us all the favor of posting the updated Haddoni. It has definately colored up from it's bleached state.

sytanek
08/16/2007, 07:32 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10568606#post10568606 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Pacific Reefs

BTW he did not sell it as a teal carpet. He sold it simply as a carpet anemone. So how is it sad? They have the same "mint green" colored carpet anemones at 3 different LFS in the orlando area as of last friday.....Flasher said it looked teal, he did not say he bought it as teal.

If you guys have to make such a big deal about it, go to reefworks and look at the one that is in stock right now. Then you can make a decision based on the ones he has is stock.

55semireef
08/16/2007, 08:37 PM
7 votes for "no" and no one is explaining why they voted for no?

sytanek, when flasher bought his carpet it was bleached. Just look at the "before" and "after" pictures and compare them. You can see it has definately colored up from its bleached state.

And for the record, reefworks was selling them as "aqua" blue carpets...should be more like aqua "bleached." :rolleyes:

Pacific Reefs
08/16/2007, 08:48 PM
Hi Sytanek,

I said that because Reefworkschris posted that they are not beached and are a "really cool aqua color" in the other thread. Thats what I was referring to.

Also you brought up a good point that 3 LFS have the same color. Unfortunately many vendors ship these and other anemones (especially H. Crispa) bleached to the LFS. Some vendors even go as low as to dye the anemones different colors. In this case the vendor may have been looking to make a sale and call these a special aqua blue variety. In my opinion too many inexperienced reefers jump into purchasing anemones because they think they are cool. The reality is that I have seen many of them die in peoples tank due to inadequate lighting, food, experience, etc. Many people do not realize the amount of light many species of anemones require as well as the acclimation process involved. Often the anemone dies a slow death from not enough light. Some anemones even demand more lighting than sps corals. In my opinion anemones are often misunderstood in this hobby and should be sold only to advanced hobbyists....not to mention they like to sting corals and eat fish.

GSMguy
08/16/2007, 08:57 PM
with the two different pics we have now i cant understand how anybody could say it wasnt bleached.

55semireef
08/16/2007, 11:54 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10570055#post10570055 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by GSMguy
with the two different pics we have now i cant understand how anybody could say it wasnt bleached.

They say it had to do with the camera because it was on flash which I find funny because flash actually captures some of the true colors of the anemone.

bluerug
08/17/2007, 12:02 AM
Flasher glad to see it has come back from its bleached state.

skinnyjoe1976
08/17/2007, 09:26 PM
DOUBLE POST

skinnyjoe1976
08/17/2007, 09:32 PM
WHAT A JOKE. ATLEAST FLASHER IS HAPPY WITH WHAT HE BOUGHT. THIS LFS SUPPORTS ORCA TO THE FULLEST HE WOULD NEVER MISLEAD ANYONE INTO BUYING SOMETHING THAT WASN'T HAPPY. I'M NOT A EXPERT BUT I CAN SAY THAT THE TREAD BEING CLOSED HAS A NEGITIVE IMPACT ON THE ORCA CLUB. PEOPLE REMEMBER THAT THE ORCA FORUM ON REEFCENTRAL IS NOT ALWAYS RELATED TO THE ORCA CLUB. WE AS A CLUB TRY TO SUPPORT FELLOW HOBBYIST AND NOT ALWAYS GIVE NEGITIVE COMMENTS. FLASHER NEVER POSTED THAT HE THOUGHT SOMETHING WAS WRONG HE POSTED TO SHOW OFF WHAT HE HAD AND IN TURN GOT NEGITIVE COMMENTS WHICH LEAD TO A DEBATE THAT NO ONE WANTED TO READ. PEOPLE ALWAYS TRY TO BASH AND IT'S GETTING OLD. :mad: IF YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO SAY TO OTHER PEOPLE OFF THE TOPIC OF THERE ORGINIAL POST PM THEM PLEASE. AGAIN RESPECT LFS THERE ARE THE REASON YOU ARE ABLE TO BE IN THE HOBBY. PS BY THE WAY I DON'T WORK AS THIS LFS AND LIVE 40 MILES AWAY FROM IT. I SUPPORT VISITING ALL LFS. SOMEONE ALWAYS HAS SOMETHING DIFFERENT AND MY LFS ARE ALWAYS THE ONES THAT ASK ME IF I NEED HELP. FOR THOSE WHO ARE LOCAL STOP BY AND VISIT THIS LFS AND YOU WON'T BE SORRY. HE HAS A EMPLOYEE THAT IS THE BEST OF THE BEST. GOOD LUCK FLASHER. BTW IF YOU NEED ANYTHING LET ME KNOW KNOW. IF I DON'T HAVE IT I WILL GET IT FOR YOU:mixed:

skinnyjoe1976
08/17/2007, 09:35 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10571384#post10571384 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by 55semireef
They say it had to do with the camera because it was on flash which I find funny because flash actually captures some of the true colors of the anemone.

FLASH TAKES AWAY FROM THE COLOR. ASK THE RC GUYS WITH TANK OF THE MONTH IF THEY USE FLASH. I BET THEY DON'T

Anemone
08/17/2007, 09:40 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10577790#post10577790 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by skinnyjoe1976
WHAT A JOKE. ATLEAST FLASHER IS HAPPY WITH WHAT HE BOUGHT. THIS LFS SUPPORTS ORCA TO THE FULLEST HE WOULD NEVER MISLEAD ANYONE INTO BUYING SOMETHING THAT WASN'T HAPPY. I'M NOT A EXPERT BUT I CAN SAY THAT THE TREAD BEING CLOSED HAS A NEGITIVE IMPACT ON THE ORCA CLUB. PEOPLE REMEMBER THAT THE ORCA FORUM ON REEFCENTRAL IS NOT ALWAYS RELATED TO THE ORCA CLUB. WE AS A CLUB TRY TO SUPPORT FELLOW HOBBYIST AND NOT ALWAYS GIVE NEGITIVE COMMENTS. FLASHER NEVER POSTED THAT HE THOUGHT SOMETHING WAS WRONG HE POSTED TO SHOW OFF WHAT HE HAD AND IN TURN GOT NEGITIVE COMMENTS WHICH LEAD TO A DEBATE THAT NO ONE WANTED TO READ. PEOPLE ALWAYS TRY TO BASH AND IT'S GETTING OLD. :mad: IF YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO SAY TO OTHER PEOPLE OFF THE TOPIC OF THERE ORGINIAL POST PM THEM PLEASE. AGAIN RESPECT LFS THERE ARE THE REASON YOU ARE ABLE TO BE IN THE HOBBY. PS BY THE WAY I DON'T WORK AS THIS LFS AND LIVE 40 MILES AWAY FROM IT. I SUPPORT VISITING ALL LFS. SOMEONE ALWAYS HAS SOMETHING DIFFERENT AND MY LFS ARE ALWAYS THE ONES THAT ASK ME IF I NEED HELP. FOR THOSE WHO ARE LOCAL STOP BY AND VISIT THIS LFS AND YOU WON'T BE SORRY. HE HAS A EMPLOYEE THAT IS THE BEST OF THE BEST. GOOD LUCK FLASHER. BTW IF YOU NEED ANYTHING LET ME KNOW KNOW. IF I DON'T HAVE IT I WILL GET IT FOR YOU:mixed:

And you brought it here, so now this one is closed.

Kevin