PDA

View Full Version : Not been a good day yesterday...........

crzy4reefs
08/15/2007, 07:21 AM
Well I drop Zack off to my mother in laws like I always do because of work. Well last night I get home ask Eric how Zack was and what not well he says.............ummmmmm............last night he had an accident...........

well my father in law started his motorcycle he was getting ready to go to work and we've told Zack time in and time out not to touch the bike cause it'll hurt him. well for what ever reason he thought that he would touch the exhaust pipe. Well he just learned a very valuable lesson. He burned his hand pretty good.

Eric walked into the house and Zack was just sitting still (which is unusual for him) on Nana's lap and just hold out his hand. And Deb says, Zack tell daddy what you did. He looked up so sad at Eric and said, "Daddy big boo boo". :(

Well Eric goes to the market to get the cream for his hand and Zack got a new car :).

But man is he one tough cookie I tell ya.

Nina51
08/15/2007, 08:10 AM
awww, shanna! sometimes the little guys have to learn for themselves.

when john was 3, we lived on the family farm and had gas space heaters. even with the bars across the front of the glass, little hands could reach in. every day, i told him not to touch it, hot hot HOT!! one day i found him in the bathroom putting bandaids all over his hands. i said what's up? he said nuffin' mommy. i said lemme see...

he had touched the glass and burned every finger tip on both hands. he knew he shouldn't have and was trying to hide it from me. he never touched them again.

crzy4reefs
08/15/2007, 08:27 AM
Yeah zack told me he learned his lesson.........his hand and fingers are all blistery today..........it's hard but yeah your right just one of those things they have to learn on their own.........

crp
08/15/2007, 08:51 AM
Boys are stoopid! :D

Sorry, couldn't resist. They have to learn for themselves sometimes.

Make sure to keep it clean, don't break the blisters and put neosporin on it. Hope he heals quickly.

BigSkyBart
08/15/2007, 08:52 AM
you can't teach "hot"
it has to be learned
I burned my paws when I was a pup learning what it meant
glad the little guy is ok :D

emilye2
08/15/2007, 09:02 AM
Same story here, replace exhaust with gas fireplace. Times two. Shanna, it's just the first of many times he'll just want to see if Mom really knows what she's talking about. :) give the tough guy hugs from me and don't worry, he'll be better in no time!

crzy4reefs
08/15/2007, 09:18 AM
Yeah he's been getting lots of hugs.......and he's really good about me cleaning it. and no i'm not popping it......I've dealt with burns before but it's been mainly my burns.......

my worst was getting a frying pan out of the oven........i'm usually good about putting on the welding gloves (that's my oven mitt :D) and taking it out when it's super hot, so i did that and put it on the stove well i forgot that it just came out of the oven and i grabbed it with my bare hand and omg that was the worst pain I've ever felt. 3rd degree burns and what not and i worked at a manager at a pet store and had to deal with salt water fish, let me say that for at least a week i was not catching fish

Thurge
08/15/2007, 09:21 AM
We as adults understand what HOT is. But what does hot mean to a child? Its just an abstract word to a child until they have pratical experience. You teach them what "Trees" are, or a "Car" but what is "hot" until you burn yourself?

crzy4reefs
08/15/2007, 09:34 AM
but the thing is he knows what hot is sort of cause he has touched the stove and not burned himself but knew that it hurt him a bit, but i guess he had to learn that papas bike can be dangerous and certain parts can burn you.

Muttling
08/15/2007, 02:36 PM
Lil Mutt didn't have to get burned to learn HOT. He saw daddy get burned putting wood in the stove and figured it out.

VoidRaven
08/15/2007, 04:10 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10559587#post10559587 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Muttling
Lil Mutt didn't have to get burned to learn HOT. He saw daddy get burned putting wood in the stove and figured it out.

That's gonna be my fear the day that little ones eventually show up at our house. Since we heat the house with wood stoves I know it'll happen at some point....heck, I've been burned a couple times on them loading the stoves....but I'll try to prevent it as long as possible.

crzy4reefs
08/16/2007, 06:25 AM
got in last night after hanging out with one of my friends, and Eric told me Zack popped his burn blister the big one on the palm of his hand. Didn't seem to slow him down Eric said.

Tomorrow I'm excited first time we are taking Zack on a train ride into Boston Massachusetts, going to the Boston museum of science. Zack's going to like all the hands on stuff and the lighting show they do. We are planning on spending the whole day there. Since Zack's stopped taking naps back last December it's been easy making trip arrangements that doesn't have to coincide with his nap schedule :D.

redawg
08/16/2007, 07:06 AM
That will be fun. I'm so glad Zack is okay.
My cousin's baby grabbed hold of a hot curling iron. His gentle baby skin stuck to it, and she had to basically tear it out of his hand. He has been in and out of the hospital, had a skin graft and has to wear the burn wraps (I can't think of what they're actually called). He is a toddler now, and he protects his hand, and in all the pictures we see, it looks like he's hiding it. Probably protecting it. It's a sad story all around, because my cousin feels horrible about it too.

crzy4reefs
08/16/2007, 07:09 AM
:( accidents happen but it's hard to see any child get hurt, my mother inlaw felt soooo bad. I told her I'm not mad and that it was an accident.

But yeah all Zack has been talking about is his big train ride friday :D

crp
08/16/2007, 08:15 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10564491#post10564491 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by crzy4reefs
got in last night after hanging out with one of my friends, and Eric told me Zack popped his burn blister the big one on the palm of his hand. Didn't seem to slow him down Eric said.

Tomorrow I'm excited first time we are taking Zack on a train ride into Boston Massachusetts, going to the Boston museum of science. Zack's going to like all the hands on stuff and the lighting show they do. We are planning on spending the whole day there. Since Zack's stopped taking naps back last December it's been easy making trip arrangements that doesn't have to coincide with his nap schedule :D.

Make sure you wash his hands often while at the museum. With all the kids and hands on stuff, there will be a ton of germs flying around the place. Since he broke the blister, you should be extra careful so it doesn't get infected.

Have a great day. Sounds like fun. Wish I could go but I'm stuck here at work.

crzy4reefs
08/16/2007, 09:02 AM
:( awww carrie, skip work day and come with us. Yea we are going to keep his hand clean as possible, and while at the museum we will have his hand covered in gauze just to be safe. I was really hoping that the blister wouldn't have broken so soon.

Muttling
08/16/2007, 09:39 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10560222#post10560222 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by VoidRaven
That's gonna be my fear the day that little ones eventually show up at our house. Since we heat the house with wood stoves I know it'll happen at some point....heck, I've been burned a couple times on them loading the stoves....but I'll try to prevent it as long as possible.

I've got a 3 panel fire place screen that I set up in front of the stove. They can easily go around it if they chose too, but never do. They can feel the heat coming off of it and know it's hot, the screen gives them a line in the sand to know where to stop. Four years with very young kids and burning a chord of wood a year. Not a single incident.

Aliie
08/16/2007, 09:43 AM
How is he doing today? Those are some bad burns for kids. Good thing is as kids the skin is replaced so frequently that it hardly leaves a scar.

crzy4reefs
08/16/2007, 11:34 AM
He's doing good, letting me clean it and apply ointment to it and is very careful with his hand. He's playing allot more then he did yesterday.

VoidRaven
08/16/2007, 01:44 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10565328#post10565328 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Muttling
I've got a 3 panel fire place screen that I set up in front of the stove. They can easily go around it if they chose too, but never do. They can feel the heat coming off of it and know it's hot, the screen gives them a line in the sand to know where to stop. Four years with very young kids and burning a chord of wood a year. Not a single incident.

I was thinking about something like that. No kids yet but I still think about these things. Especially since we burn the stove 24/7 in the winter time, going through about 4-6 cord of wood in winter, I want to protect it as much as possible.