PDA

View Full Version : chiller flow rate

Bergovoy
08/14/2007, 08:19 PM
Hey,

what is the flow rate for a 1/4 hp chiller? and how would I know how muchthat is, (without the benefit of a flow meter)

btw, is anyone going to MD in the next day or so, if so, i can order a couple meters

Bill

Jimbo327
08/14/2007, 08:39 PM
You gotta look at the recommended flow rate of your specific chiller. Each brand is different. And you can roughly estimate the flowrate by calculating the amount of height pressure and diameter of tubing used/elbows/etc. Each pump has a pressure curve that you can look at, it tells you flowrate at each height you need to pump up.

So if you have your pump in your sump, and the top of your tank is 5 ft. Then use the RC pressure calculator (on main page) to look at flowrate for your pump, your head pressure is 5 ft.

Scissorhand
08/14/2007, 09:17 PM
hi bill, is it the jbj arctica?

if so, I use Eheim 1262.

900gph, about the max recommended flow rate for it, but it works well.

pulls down 2 degrees in less than an hr on my 60 gal main + 25 gal sump.

Bergovoy
08/14/2007, 10:28 PM
the 'pull down' seems like it could vary not based upon the chiller, but the ambient temp, the lights that are on, etc...

Right now, my chiller seems to put out cold water, several degrees colder then the amibient water temp, but it still takes an hour to 'pull down' the temp 2 degrees during the middle of the day, (keep in mind my sump 30+gal), is outside, and I have 950Watts of light on the tank

I think my chiller is made by custom aquatics of something like that. I think the company is out of business, and not sure I can find the specs, but will try to read the label for info and post it later.

Thanks

Bill

Bergovoy
08/14/2007, 10:30 PM
oh, also for the flow I have a manifold off my quiet one 6000, so some of goes through the UV then the chiller, then back to teh sump. The other part goes directly to the tank.

I was wondering if by my putting the chilled water back into the sump, only to be pumped back through the chiller is defeating the purpose, (endless loop kinda thing)...

I am not sure how I would get the water back to the tank withou having a utube which I DO NOT WANT

Scissorhand
08/15/2007, 01:56 AM
redo your plumbing or get out the circular drill bits (if it's acrylic).

Bergovoy
08/15/2007, 12:02 PM
is there a square drill bit if it is glass??

So, one person for not liking the circular loop for cooling efficiency, any others, and if so, how should I 're-do' the plubming?

Where do I take the water from, and where do put the chilled water bck?

Thanks

Bill