PDA

View Full Version : Suggest an anthias

Dan9
08/14/2007, 05:55 PM
I have been very interested in anthias and I would like to hear some suggestions for a type of anthias for my 65g reef (3 ft). I noticed that some sites say you need a bigger tank but others don't. Would any do better in that tank than other varieties. Also I just want one or two. Is that okay or do I need a group? If I did get two, would I get male/female or female/female? Thanks for the help

Wrench
08/14/2007, 06:30 PM
I've been doing some research preparing the stocking list for my new 120 and anthias are on my list. This is some advice I've been given;

a.) minimum tank size of 75g. Anthias can get big and need room to swim. They just don't look right in small tanks.
b.) Small groups are best. They do better with a group of 3 females and a male. Purchase them as all females and the dominant one will morph into a male.
c.) feed often. They've got a voracious appetite and need to be fed at least twice a day
d.)I'm not sure on different species, but lyretails are one of the most hardy anthias and IMO are the prettiest.

SDguy
08/14/2007, 06:42 PM
Check out the fathead anthias. Do well alone or paired.

Wrench
08/14/2007, 07:52 PM
I had read in a couple of books that the fatheads don't do well in captivity. Is this not true?

Kiel'thalin
08/14/2007, 08:31 PM
Single Male Lyretail Anthias (Pseudanthias squamipinnis) in my 46 gallon reef for over 7 months. He is about 3 inches long. I feed a variety of frozen food once a day, that will be my reccomendation.

CarlC
08/14/2007, 09:03 PM
I would go with SDguys suggestion if you are looking for a bigger species. A single Lyretail would be able to hold his own with most fish that aren't overly aggressive. Most of the bigger species will do just fine as singles.
If your looking for something smaller it would really depend on if the rest of the fish in the tank are peacefull.
Either way you'd probably be only able to add a single. As was mentioned they like lots of room to swim.

Carl

SDguy
08/14/2007, 09:14 PM
The fatheads are hardy. They can just be shy...

Snowboarda42
08/14/2007, 09:30 PM
I have 2 Lyretail's in my 40B and they've stayed pretty much the same size since I've gotten them. I also got to watch one female morph into a male, which is pretty cool to see. Takes a few months though.

Dan9
08/14/2007, 11:22 PM
Thanks a lot guys. To answer about other fish, they are all peaceful. So, one lyretail would be ok? I don't see too many people with one anthia and I was curious why not? Thanks again.

CarlC
08/15/2007, 12:34 AM
To be honest I don't know why either. If you are in a situation where you have room for groups then groups work well. I guess it has always been said they need to be in groups so that is just what people think.

Yes I think a Lyretail would work out well. Maybe go with a female so you can witness the change to male.

Carl

SDguy
08/15/2007, 07:06 AM
Actually Dan, if you check out Fenner's writings about anthias (WWM or Conscientious Marine Aquarist) he mentions several times how single specimens are a better idea, more often than not.

CarlC
08/15/2007, 08:51 AM
Calfo also suggests the same.

Carl

Dan9
08/15/2007, 03:08 PM
Thanks again guys you all were big help