PDA

View Full Version : replacing sand bed

torpedo101
08/14/2007, 04:04 PM
Hey I decided to replace my sandbed and was wondering best method ..I am filling the old garbage can with good ole clean water but was wondering if I should drain all the water and replace it with the clean or use some of it? the current water ..I have 4 fishes and 50 lbs of rock to consider while moving ...My phosphates keep going up even with phosban in filter so new sand is the best way to go..appreciate any input thanks..>)

mikemartinez
08/14/2007, 04:15 PM
I recently did the same thing and kept the water... I didn’t know if it would send it into another cycle or not so didn’t want to risk it..

crumbletop
08/14/2007, 04:37 PM
I'd use as much good clean tank water from your current system in your "updated" tank. You might even consider siphoning out your current sand, leaving the LR in place, and then add the new sand. You can add the new sand a cup at a time by lowering in a cup and slowly pouring it out where you want it. This can keep the dust to a minimum. You can also rinse off the dust while the stuff is in the trash can.

fishdoc11
08/14/2007, 05:23 PM
I would use as much old water as possible or at least 50% if you want to do a large water change. A shop vac makes getting the old sand out a breeze if you do end up taking everything apart;)
Chris

rcmike
08/14/2007, 08:10 PM
Just make sure there isn't much water in the tank if you go the shop vac route. I tried it with quite a bit of water and it just turned into a big siphon. You can imagine the results. :) My brain was turned off that day I think.

crumbletop
08/14/2007, 08:14 PM
Dude, that would be one heck of a siphon, and could make for one heck of a mess :lol:

rcmike
08/14/2007, 08:18 PM
Yup!