PDA

View Full Version : Went shooting with a Russian

JR719
08/14/2007, 11:48 AM
Posted this on the reef club forum page. Take a look.

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1183674

Kiddo and I had a great time. This lady can shoot! Sure boosted kiddo's confidence to see this lady shooting so well.

Muttling
08/14/2007, 12:07 PM
Rock on!!!!

I'm telling you, the female body is better designed for shooting than the man's and they've got better patience to step through it correctly.

When I was shooting 22's indoor, our best team shooter was a high school gal who went on to get a scholarship on the MTSU shooting team and competed for the Olympics. I watched her shoot a 390 out of 400 in more than a few matches.

dc
08/14/2007, 12:14 PM
Now we know where to find you....:D

http://images26.fotki.com/v958/photos/2/28482/82474/th_wootsmiley-vi.gif

Looks like a good time was had by all.

tyoberg
08/14/2007, 03:22 PM
Two junior girls from Washington kicked a lot of butt two weeks back during the National Trophy Rifle Matches.

Ty

drauka99
08/14/2007, 05:20 PM
Nice, I was just saying today that I need to get out on our local range and fire a few of my babies.

GSMguy
08/14/2007, 05:42 PM
my Grandmother was a darn good shot lots of shooting trophys around with her name on them.

mother is a decent shot. i love ladies that know their way around a gun

mr9iron
08/14/2007, 05:58 PM
Those were some cool pictures JR, thanks for sharing them with us. I bet it was a honor to get to shoot with a world class firearms expert like that. BTW, did she give you any tips that you could pass on to the rest of us? Also, what kind of optic do you have on the top of your M4? I've been considering the Eotech but I just don't have $400 to fork out for it right now.

JR719
08/15/2007, 01:35 AM
Thanks all. It really was a good time and kiddo had a blast, literally.

Tips.... Well, the first was to lock your gun arm elbow. I guess some people do this, I was not taught to do this, but going to work on it.

She said the usual on breathing. BUT, as far as the front sight thing... Look at the target, focus on the target. Bring the sights to your eye where the front sight is blurry (backwards huh?). Then transition your eye to the front sight and fire. I was always told to focus on the front site. Gonna give this way a try! She was really quick on target and firing.

Mostly gave the basics to my daughter, as I did, but listened to her. She stuck with the basics since she was giving my daughter pointers.

The one that really stuck with my kiddo.... Some guns kick, if you shoot them, they will kick. If you flinch, it will still kick, but you'll miss the target and still get kicked. If you don't flinch, you'll still get kicked, but you'll hit your target. Now kiddo is ready to shoot the 20gauge again.

I'll have to ask kiddo more of the tips as I was messing with other stuff during some of kiddo's lessons. When I was shooting, she would move my arms, hips etc. for a different stance.

9Iron, the sight is a Bushnell Holo. It's about 6 or 7 years old, but still works. I like the slim Eotechs, but this one still works fine.

dkh0331
08/15/2007, 02:07 AM
So you went shooting with a Caucasian female from the former soviet union - a white russian.

Isn't mixing firearms and alcohol a bad thing to do?

:lol:

Thank you folks. I'm playing the lounge all week long. Don't forget to tip your server!!!

mr9iron
08/15/2007, 02:40 AM
Thanks JR, I'll give the shooting techniques a try as well. I'm alson going to look into the Bushnell site as well.

JR719
08/15/2007, 03:14 AM
mr9iron,

I bought a mount that allows the site to be mounted above the forearm, did not work. The holo was too tall and when looking thru the open sights, all I could see was the brightness controls. The eotech would have worked, but hey, my sight still worked fine, so it is still attached to the see thru on the carry handle. We are required to still be able to use the iron sights.

And really on the tips, it was mainly stance and target acqisition that I picked up on, and locking the elbow. Take a look at her stance shooting the AR. I thought it was strange, but she outshot me like you would not belive, and I shoot a 90 and 95 on paper for our course (90 is throwing 2 rounds).

dkh, white russians and guns went very well this day!

mr9iron
08/15/2007, 03:23 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10556483#post10556483 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by JR719
mr9iron,

I bought a mount that allows the site to be mounted above the forearm, did not work. The holo was too tall and when looking thru the open sights, all I could see was the brightness controls. The eotech would have worked, but hey, my sight still worked fine, so it is still attached to the see thru on the carry handle. We are required to still be able to use the iron sights.

And really on the tips, it was mainly stance and target acqisition that I picked up on, and locking the elbow. Take a look at her stance shooting the AR. I thought it was strange, but she outshot me like you would not belive, and I shoot a 90 and 95 on paper for our course (90 is throwing 2 rounds).

dkh, white russians and guns went very well this day!

I noticed she was holding the magazine. Wierd, but I'll give it a shot.

tyoberg
08/15/2007, 12:24 PM
That is a funky offhand stance. I don't see anything wrong with holding the magazine--do what you need to get the front sight up while maximizing support. I grab the magazine on the M14 if I need to (depends on how the firing point is sloped). The less you have to lift, the better off you are.

Most highpower shooters grab the barrel nut (for some reason the rules don't let you hold the mag on the AR).

I'm not big on her foot position. It's probably good for snappy shooting, but for target work (hitting the 10-ring), I've found it's better to keep your feet parallel. This will keep you from rocking back on your heels, especially if there's wind.

iCam
08/15/2007, 07:40 PM
I competed in archery for a while, and several of the top shooters were female.

JR719
08/16/2007, 01:35 AM
Hey, whoa!! The AR pick is stabbing a mag. Sorry about that, I did not look at hand placement on that one. But, that is the stance she shot from. Sorry.... Looks a little bent out of shape if you ask me. She was holding the forearm when shooting.

Even though looking bent wrong, it worked..... Hit everything she shot at.