PDA

View Full Version : green hair algae taking over

newreefer2
08/14/2007, 08:31 AM
Last week I had a some hair algea in my tank and a red slime algae problem. I used a chemical treatment for the red slime and added a phosphate reactor. I then went on the road for a week and my wife watched the tank for me. When I got back no red slime algae but now there is two inch long green hair algea everywhere. I have to clean the tunze nanos twice a day to get the break away algea out. I have two tang, a pencil urchin and a lawn mower blenny but the algea continues to take over.

Any suggestions? Is there an existing thread on how to deal with this?
Thanks in advance for the help this forum is great.

JetCat USA
08/14/2007, 08:56 AM
excessive nutrients in the water and poor spectrum lighting (old bulbs) are the most likely causes.

SaltyDr
08/14/2007, 08:59 AM
The phosphate reactor is taking care of the PO4, but I surmise that your nitrates are high. Test for them. Water changes will help lower them temporarily, but you need to find out why they are high - likely over-feeding and lack of maintenance. What kind of set-up do you have. Things like bioballs and dirty filters are likely nitrate "factories". Wet Web Media has TONS of info on algae issues and their cures.

kuoka
08/14/2007, 11:48 AM
I'd reduce feeding (too many nutrients) and watch the lighting. Brush the big strands with a tooth brush (assuming it can go into an overflow and out of your tank), then get a couple of blue legged hermits. Some sea slugs will eat hair algae too.

Davidb6
08/14/2007, 04:02 PM
Hair algae is a normal part of the tank aging process. Unfortunately, not much eats hair algae. However, I found that pulling the hair algae out by hand (long slow process) made the hair algae very short. Turbo (Mexican) snails will eat “short” hair algae.

Place a bucket of RO water next to the tank. Reach in the tank and pull out a little hair algae at a time, place the hair algae in the bucket and rinse your hand in the bucket to make sure you get all the hair algae off your hand. Repeat, repeat, repeat…..

This is not the cure only temporary help until you solve the cause.

newreefer2
08/14/2007, 09:23 PM
I appreciate all the tips. I am going to replace my bulbs they are my originals so they are almost a year old. I have started hand stripping the algea - not my favorite pasttime. But I need to get rid of the stuff before it smoothers my corals.

Archmagev
08/14/2007, 09:28 PM
two words....Sea Hare
They work way better than lettuce nudi's