PDA

View Full Version : Grr.

rutledgek
08/13/2007, 08:56 PM
Well I went to PA from Wednesday to This evening andI come home to a tank full of hair algae thats at least 2 to 3 inches in length in sme places. On top of that I Just purchased a Pink Montipora Digitata and a blue acro to place in the tank. Im fraid it wont survive it gets covered with hair algae. I just got it in the tank, and even though its sliming, the polyps are out. . I built an overflow before I left, it leaks, I need to redo the silicone. The new skimmer seems to work well. But I really need to get rid of this hair algae.

crumbletop
08/14/2007, 08:19 AM
Well the standard things are balance with feeding, good skimming, clean-up crew, fuge, phosban. I have also heard Mg ~1500 does wonders.

rutledgek
08/14/2007, 08:37 AM
Yes. I am running phoslock in a phosban reactor. I just changed out the media. I know it all has to do with everything that the tank is going through. I also increased my photoperiod a little since I dont need to worry about heat issues anymore. Im sure tat drove everything wild. I am hoping that as I do water changes, use phoslock, and the hair algae begin to use up all the nutrients, it will start dieing out and my new skimmer will pull out the broken down plant material so it doesnt get released back into the water column.

crumbletop
08/14/2007, 08:41 AM
Sounds like a good plan.

DMBillies
08/14/2007, 10:08 AM
I haven't had the guts to try this on my fully stocked 90 gallon that's been having algae issues, but here is the Mg thread that Jack speaks of.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1113109&perpage=25&pagenumber=14 (http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1113109&perpage=25&pagenumber=14)

It sounds promising, but I'd rather rip some algae out every once in a while and be patient with it than to risk losing my livestock on a relatively unproven idea.

Personally, I followed a more standard regimen and am proud to report that nearly all of our hair algae is finally gone. Over the course of the last six months or so of my all out war on the algae I have: 1. added about 2400 gph more flow to my 90, 2. added a phosphate reactor, 3. focused on keeping my alkalinity toward the high end of the acceptable range, 3. simplified my fuge area for easier cleaning out of built up detritus during water changes, 4. done weekly water changes during which I blow out the rocks and run a filter sock overnight to catch everything that's busted loose, and after all of that, 5. added a bunch of snails and hermits to eliminate the now very slowly growing algae. None of my other tanks have given me any kind of serious algae problems before despite having smaller skimmers, smaller fuges, and higher bioloads, so I'm not sure why this one has been such a bear. This Mg idea may be a nice shortcut, but until you've taken care of the route of the problem I don't see it being anything more than a bandaid.

That said, I think you've just moved, so a break-out is not anything uncommon and may just take a little time to straighten itself out.

rutledgek
08/14/2007, 10:44 AM
Yeah. I just moved and then increased the amount of time my MH were on during my photo period. I am sure that is what caused it. My plan of attack is to let it run its course. The hair algae will grow and use the nutrients in the water then start to die off. I have a great skimmer so that should pull the decaing plant material out of the water so the phosphates are not released back into the system. I don't overfeed so I dont think that is a problem, and I am running phoslock through my phosban reactor. Things will eventually clear up, but I was surprised by the amount of growth between wednesday morning and monday evening while I was away.

gflat65
08/14/2007, 04:58 PM
Running a little higher on alk helps, too, IMO. Sprung reports it as helpful for a nmber of ifferent alga (he just says to maintain above 8.0, FWIW). I'd say it was at least a strong coincidence if nothing else that that it worked for me to some extent.

rutledgek
08/14/2007, 05:01 PM
I do need to check my levels. its getting so bad that my clowns are starting to host in the algae

rutledgek
08/14/2007, 06:38 PM
Well my two new pieces are growing algae on them or are at least catching it in their branches, anyone willing to maybe house my two pieces of SPS for a time until my hair algae gets under control. If you want a piece we can get a frag of it once it starts growing. If so let me know and see if I can get it to you as soon as possible.

Nashvegas
08/15/2007, 06:13 AM
I can help store it for a while if you want...i live near the critter ...lemme know..

Siffy
08/15/2007, 07:35 PM
You could try blacking out your tank for a few days. Unplugging your lights and trying to block out all ambient light to the system will hurt the hair algae enough so your clean up crew should be able to deal with it better. It'll stop growing and parts of it even die. This will let your skimmer remove it from the water. Lots of people have seen good results from this. And you're worried about your corals, but remember this kind of thing happens in nature too. They'll be fine without light for a few days.

Thread about it:
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1078532

rutledgek
08/21/2007, 10:52 PM
Well drastic times call for drastic measures. I just removed the screens of my overflow, put on two filter socks, and scrubbed every piece of rock with a tooth brush. I also pulled it out of the sand while was in there.

The tank was looking horrendous. And now it doesnt. I am hoping that the new snails, phosban reactor, skimmer, and water changes can keep up with it all now. It looks so much better.