PDA

View Full Version : Electric blue hermit crab took a dive.....

kookerson
08/12/2007, 05:42 PM
When my tank was first cycled a little over 2 months ago....I added 5 dwarf hermit crabs.....and slowly over the next month and a half, they started dying off. 2 weeks after the last one died.....I decided to take a chance with the electric blue hermit crabs, so i bought 3 of them last week. I came home from church today and saw that one of them was out of his shell and dead.........whats going on? My turbo and nassarius snails dont die? All my other inhabitants are doing good? My params are ammonia/trite/phosph/ @ 0, trates at 10-15, alk low at 2.5 meq/l, and my calcium is high at 750 ppm........

Midus
08/12/2007, 05:54 PM
Acclimation maybe. A few of mine died because I didn't properly do it. Since then, I've learned to test the bag's PH and Sg and compare it to my own. The greater the difference, the longer you have to wait apparently.

clockwurk
08/12/2007, 06:02 PM
Whats your PH like?
Low alk will make your PH go nuts.

kookerson
08/12/2007, 06:11 PM
Ph is at 8.1........and I drip acclimated them for about 30 minutes with airline tubing........

kookerson
08/12/2007, 07:43 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10538293#post10538293 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Midus
Acclimation maybe. A few of mine died because I didn't properly do it. Since then, I've learned to test the bag's PH and Sg and compare it to my own. The greater the difference, the longer you have to wait apparently.

Also, the first one lasted about 5 days before he took a ride on the procelain express.......

mr_o98
08/12/2007, 11:48 PM
I would acclimate longer and use a slower drip. I acclimate any new addition for at least one hour before adding to the tank.

Your tank is only 2 months old, there may not be enough food for the crabs to eat. The snails eat alot and are probably not leaving much for the crabs to eat.