PDA

View Full Version : Mandarin Pairing

mamagoose45
08/11/2007, 07:57 PM
We have a male Psychedelic Mandarin in our 92 bow and we are thinking about getting him a lady friend. My question is whether or not you have to pair up Psychedelics with their own kind or whether his new lady friend could be a regular Green Mandarin? Anyone know or have any experience with this??

gflat65
08/11/2007, 09:53 PM
Tagging along. I've always wondered if you could pair a spotted and green... I've always loved mandarins:).

Angela Short
08/14/2007, 11:15 AM
I have a Psy. male and added another male thinking the 270 was big enouph and it was not. He attacked the new guy relentlessly and he ended up in the sump 3 times so I sold him. I added a tiny spotted and he never bothers him but not sure if its male or female. He came in about 1.5" or so and was not a threat I guess. They ignore each other. I need to go see if the spotted has grew a big dorsal fin thing which shows its male right? It may be female is why he ignors her...

Also FWIW My big male eats Formula 1 and/or 2 small pellets. I added a self feeder mixed with the pellets that drop food in the same corner 2x a day and I noticed he hangs out on that side a lot. Well he was hanging out for a free meal I guess because I noticed he gobbles the pellets up when they hit the sand. I guess after the red bug treatments he had to starve or find something else to eat. I never have seen the spotted eat any preparded though but he has doubled in size so I know its eating something.

mamagoose45
08/16/2007, 12:04 PM
Bumpity

mamagoose45
08/19/2007, 11:04 AM
Just an FYI for anyone who was interested in this (aka Gary), according to Sean, you can NOT pair a green with a psychedelic...sad.

ocd_mariner
08/19/2007, 11:21 AM
Im having trouble paring my two psychedelics =(

I think my male may be batting for the wrong team =(

Angela Short
08/19/2007, 12:40 PM
I looked at my spotted and he is male and my psy. is male but he doesn't seem to mind the smaller spotted. Don't know if the other large male psy. I tried to add was to much of a threat since he was already mature or the spotted was very, very tiny when he was added making a difference but they seem to get along just fine. My tank is pretty big though but the 2 male psy.'s didn't get along at all in the same tank FWIW.