PDA

View Full Version : Need help choosing some inverts for my tank

Pea-brain
08/10/2007, 03:16 PM
HI. I'm trying to choose some nice inverts for my tank. I posted this in another forum but didn't get alot of help, so I thought I might get more responses here.

My tank is a 6 month old 10 gal. hooked up to 2 other ten gallons with 300 GPh pump and HOB overflows. I have ordered 3 fish, 1 yellow headed jawfish and 2 chalk bass. After that I want to finish stocking with some cool inverts. I'm pretty set on getting a skunk cleaner so they need to be compatible.

Sexy shrimp: I hear they are really small. Could my fish eat them?

Harlequins: expensive to feed, don't know if they get along with other shrimp

Decorator crab: Really interesting but I'm afraid it might be agressive.

Pom Pom crab: DO their anenomes need lots of light? can they be agressive?

Pistol/goby combo: afraid the pistol will eat other shrimp or bug the jawfish

any other suggestions? Thanks

Dan

Grins
08/10/2007, 03:45 PM
I'd not put a chalk bass in a 20g or with a cleaner shrimp.

You might check into a porcelian crab. Very passive and doesn't get big. It filters food rather than using it's claws to eat.

Pea-brain
08/10/2007, 04:02 PM
What chalk bass are you talking about? The one I'm lookin at gets 3 inches long and isn't known to nip at inverts. The one at sealifeinc.net? Anyways if you really think they'd be shrimp eaters I'd be willing to change my order. It hasn't been processed yet. Also I'm not a big fan of porcelain crabs.

Dan

Pea-brain
08/11/2007, 07:47 PM
Okay, I've decided your right. I looked into them a bit more and decided that they aren't suitable for my tank. I've contacted the guy and asked him to trade out the fish for a blenny and 2 shaving brush plants. But Most of my questions are still unanswered....

Dan

Guygettnby
08/13/2007, 08:30 PM
with Sexy shrimp you have the possibilty a larger fish may eat them. but i havent had that problem yet.

decorator crabs have never been aggresive in my tanks. the only damage i see them doing is picking at corals and sponges to cover themselves with. but once they are covered they seem to do great and stop destroying things..

pom pom crabs do require light for there anenomes. but 2 out of the 3 i have bought or ordered did not come with anenomes in there claws.

the rest im not to sure about.

Guygettnby
08/13/2007, 08:34 PM
oh yea, i second the porcelian crab idea. but i also ment to mention that everytime i have ordered a decorator crab they are normally pretty big. try going to your LFS and seeing if they had any come in on live rock shipments....they are normally alot smaller and alread come covered usualy. i know my LFS gets them in on live rock all the time and i only pay $2 for them.

yellowslayer13
08/14/2007, 10:50 PM
get haraquins if you give them 3 stars they will eat small peices of the stars and then let it heal