PDA

View Full Version : Crumbletop

Fanof49ASU
08/09/2007, 09:53 AM
What do you think about T5's in comparison to MH?
Do you think you're seeing as much growth as you would with MH's?

Just curious.
I'm seeing in another forum's thread, that if you're in this long enough, you'll gravitate to MH's. What do you think?

crumbletop
08/09/2007, 12:42 PM
I think there are benefits and drawbacks for each setup (MH or T5). I am really liking the coloration and growth I am currently getting with T5s. IMO, the big 3 (lighting, water quality, flow) are hugely important, and T5s or MH suffice for the lighting portion, especially for SPS.

One of the big differences between T5 and MH is the light distribution pattern. There are fewer low-light areas with T5s unless you manufacture shade either with the rockwork, or by having decent sized corals above other things. I originally had difficulty finding good spots for corals that didn't like being blasted with light. IMO, the same issue happens with flow. As my tank has matured and things have grown, I have seen a huge transition. My cali tort is the best example. It took its time for about a year -- thickening up, but not really growing. It was purple with green polyps. Now it has neon blue growth tips, purple leading up to the growth tips, orange and gold more towards the center, and greenish polyps, though the ones towards the tip aren't so green. So the coral has taken on a really awesome rainbowish look -- I think in part due to tank aging, in part due to changing flow from growth elsewhere. I think this coloration would be there if I used halides as well -- though the coloration may be slightly different with diff wavelengths/intensities.

So my opinion is that coloration and growth are not only related to lighting, and some of the folks who "switch" may be blaming things on the lighting, when it really is a balance of a bunch of different factors. For example, I don't think I used to feed enough or have a big enough bioload to get enough food for the corals. I'm more happy than ever with my current setup. The only thing I am dissatisfied with at this point is the size of the tank :D

crumbletop
08/09/2007, 12:49 PM
I might add, that the light distribution issue may make MH easier for newer hobbiests to work with, as you have all sorts of lighting zones to work with. With smaller coral frags, and low-light corals it is easy to end up blasting all of them with T5s. So MH may be more forgiving with a younger tank. MH can look really awesome too, so both of those factors can also contribute to a "switch". I stuck through some lean times with the T5s and have learned along the way.

Fanof49ASU
08/09/2007, 01:47 PM
Thanks Jack.

I'm still mentally putting together my 'dream tank'.....I guess that never stops.
I like the color that I've seen with MH, but I don't like the heat. I guess as they develop new bulbs for the T5's, they'll close that door for me.

I know what you mean by the 'lack of shade' with the T5's. Believe it or not, I'm dealing with that in my 5 gallon. My mushrooms don't like me much. : ) It's either too dark, or too light. I was using that fiberglass screen door material as a block for a while, but it kept getting in the way.

hesstondc
08/09/2007, 03:20 PM
I have had them all, and I always go back to halides, fun to work with IMO.....

And the shimmer is great.....
Clay

SRT80
08/09/2007, 04:12 PM
From the looks, I like Halides better. Especially After seein Nashvegas's tank and the coral displays at Ebay. I like the shimmer and the shaded areas. Just looks more natural. I think the tank closest to the back, 75 gal. had the Sunpod? I wouldnt mind a setup like that. I stuck my hand under it and it did put out some heat. But I am pleased with my 4x24w T-5s over my 20 gal. for now. One of those Aqualights or Viper HQI clamp lamps might be nice.

Steve