PDA

View Full Version : Heliofungia Actiniformis question

rhythmicfire
08/09/2007, 02:32 AM
Here's the story

Last Thursday I purchased a healthy Heliofungia Actiniformis. Upon putting it in my tank, within an hour the entire coral opened with all of it's tentacles fully extended and waving in the current.

For the next 4 days, the coral looked awesome. However, on Tuesday I noticed that my Frogspawn and my Heliofungia were not opened fully like they normally are. I took a closer glance, and noticed that the Frogspawn had thin transparent mucus strands (with air bubbles caught on them) coming from it. It almost looked like the Frogspawn was sloffing something off...but I don't recall Frogspawn being able to do that. I am not sure what this substance was, but the current just took it away. But in regards to the Heliofungia, the tentacles were not as extended as they were during the prior days; and the tentacles did not look as thick as before when inflated either. I should mention there is no coral within reach of the Heliofungia, and the Heliofungia is receiving moderate flow.

I proceeded to carry out a 20% water change to try and dilute the effects of allelopathy if it was happening. The next day the Frogspawn looked awesome and back to normal. The Heliofungia however was still not as inflated as it was before (inflated, but not as much as the first 4 days). As a precaution, I performed another 20% water change.

About the tank:
10gal, 30W PC, Aquaclear 20 powerhead, SeaClone100. Ammo, trites, and trates at zero. pH is 8.2, and SG is 1.025. One Bi-Color Blenny, one Royal Gramma

Anyone know what's going on with my fungia?

blink*
08/09/2007, 12:41 PM
Hard corals in a 10g? I'd stick with softies if I were you. It's very difficult to achieve stability in such a small volume of water. Softies are much more forgiving in that regard.

rhythmicfire
08/09/2007, 01:42 PM
Yeah, nothing more than softies and LPS in my 10gal. So far gsp, frogspawn, candy coral (caulustrea furata), and some green hairy mushrooms. It is not as hard as some people make it out be to achieve (maintain is a better word) stability in my tank IMO. As long as I stick with my weekly 2gal water changes, and weekly water testing. Some people say the hardest part about a nano tank is maintaining stability in the salinity due to evaporation, but I top off when needed. I also have a seaclone which skims the bejebus out of my water as well.

=)

blink*
08/09/2007, 03:51 PM
Good to hear. The parameters you have posted are acceptable for most LPS, but I've had problems myself with maintaining acceptable water conditions in smaller tanks (20g). It can be done, but it's a *****, especially evaporation. How long have you had your 10g up?