PDA

View Full Version : Will it kill a clam to add HD sand to tank?

jimhobbs
06/02/2000, 03:32 AM
Good mornin' all!

It looks like I will be getting my first clam in a few days! :) :D :)

Also,
I'll be recieving some HD sand via my best buddy, aLittletank! :) :D

Problem,
Clam will be here a few days before the sand :eek: I will be adding the sand via the pvc method discussed in another thread; but I'm sure there will be some silt...Will the clam survive the silt; or do I need to change introduction plans?....

Thanks...jim

[This message has been edited by jimhobbs (edited 06-02-2000).]

hesaias
06/02/2000, 03:42 AM
Hey Jim! My we're up early!
It took my water about 6-12 hours to totaly clear. None of the animals, LPS, xenia fish or other inverts seemed bothered in the least. The xenia even kept pulsing away during the whole time. I dont have a clam :(, but if they arent real sensitive....
I did remove all my bottom and lower reef corals and my H. crispa to a rubbermaid tub while I added the sand, and put them back in after I finished.
Good luck! The I put a 45ell at the bottom of the pipe to help get the sand under the rock work, this did a good job.

------------------
hesaias
My Reefscape (http://www.angelfire.com/on3/hesaias/index.html)

My Homepage (http://www.angelfire.com/on2/hesaias/index.html)

jimhobbs
06/02/2000, 03:52 AM
Hey Hes! :)
Yeah, we're the breakfast club! :D

I remember something Knop mentioned concerning the cloggin' of some gill filters with silt...I'm thinking some of these expert clam keepers we have on line ;) might be able to shed some light on what they'd do...There is the posibility that I could pay for the clam now, then have it shipped after the sand is introduced...I really like the looks of this particular clam, and hate to miss out on it... :)

I hope the xenia is doing well! :) I'm still waiting on the snail-mail service to deliver the thermos; but I'm in no hurry {Q might be!...hehehehe :D }

Have fun guys...jim

RCraw45425
06/02/2000, 07:05 AM
Hey Jim, Do you have a hang on power filter that you can put on there to pull some of the dust out? The sand is really dusty, We washed it forever and it was still really messy to add. Not to mention the residue that it leaves on the glass. Let me know how the clam does, the LFS guy here has been getting some that are attached to a piece of rock, he claims that they have a better survival rate. Hmmmm, they are really nice looking, just don't know if it's still too early to add one. Thanks for adding the pictures, do they appear fuzzy to you? Stil trying to figure out that digital camcorder. Later, Robin

------------------
tank at: members.xoom.com/jimhobbs/simba.htm (http://members.xoom.com/jimhobbs/simba.htm)

JSM
06/02/2000, 07:05 AM
When I added sand I had no problem with my Derasa. I couldn't even see more than a few inches into the tank and after it cleared no one looked any worse for it. The ocean isn't always clear, things get stirred up there too so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Janna

Steve Richardson
06/02/2000, 07:12 AM
Jim -

I havnt tried burying a deresa in a fog of silt, but I'd be careful anyway...

Knops comment:
http://www.animalnetwork.com/fish2/aqfm/1997/nov/shell/default.asp

"High salinity and low turbidity seem to be critical factors for these clams, as is evidenced by their gill morphology (Adams et al. 1988). The morphology of the gills of T. derasa is such that they can’t handle more than minimal amounts of silt."

I suppose 'minimal amounts' is up for debate though. ;) On the other hand, I have seen what the HD sand can do for a tank :eek: . Your going to rinse the stuff, right?

-Steve

[This message has been edited by Steve Richardson (edited 06-02-2000).]

Brad Ward
06/02/2000, 07:15 AM
I would highly suggest that you remove the clam to a temporary vessel while the dust settles ;).

Brad

ladyballplayer
06/02/2000, 07:22 AM
I just added my sand over the weekend and I removed all of my fish, shrimp and corals (LR too for that matter) and out them in rubbermaid containers with powerheads. I rinsed my sand over and over again, but it was still VERY cloudy and took over 24 hours to clear. Can you imagine all that silt in your gills and mantle? I did loose a yellow lether, maybe it will make a come back - its deteriorating tho so probably not.

Why not buy the clam AFTER that sand adventure?

------------------
LadyBallPlayer
http://www.geocities.com/ladybeachlover

Steve Richardson
06/02/2000, 07:26 AM
Oops... I see based on your other post that you are actually are getting a T.max... :p

I would still say... 'whats your hurry'. Get your tank settled, then add the clam... which I think would also have no trouble acclimating to your VHOs.

-S

jimhobbs
06/02/2000, 08:28 AM
Thanks for the replys! :) You guys are the greatest!! :D

The only rush was getting this particular clam before anyone else got it ;) I might be able to pay the place for it, then have them hold it till the sand arrives...I'm waiting to hear back from them now... :)

I didn't intend on ANY rinsing :eek: I think it was Rob Toonen that said not to...The tank will supposedly benefit from the dissolved minerals; and that was his reccommendation...I'm going to review his comments in sites.netscape.net/douglxyzzy/sandbed.html (http://sites.netscape.net/douglxyzzy/sandbed.html) ...That's one reason I wanted to ask this question...

Best regards...jim

[This message has been edited by jimhobbs (edited 06-02-2000).]

Staceon
06/02/2000, 08:33 AM
Hey jim,

Over the past 6 months I have added LS three differnent times all the while with a Derasa in there. The LS fromm IA (about 1 pound)was pretty fine and made a cloud of dust that took 1 or 2 hours to disappear. The Florida and Fiji LS (about 10 lbs each) were a tad bigger,thus not as cloudy, but more dirty like water. A fourth time I was putting in a small powerhead that fell and stired sand all over the tank for a few hours. After these four times, a couple times I could see sand resting on the clam.

I have to admit I was afraid, I have read the artciles too about sand clogging up a clam and killing it. Dont know if I got lucky or not. But overall agree with Steve's comments.

ladyballplayer
06/02/2000, 08:34 AM
Jim - I rinsed and it was still very, very cloudy. How are you adding it> Since my tank was empty - I somply threw it in. But if you used a long tube and a funnel, you could addit directly where you wanted it in the botton with less disturbance I would think.

------------------
LadyBallPlayer
http://www.geocities.com/ladybeachlover

jimhobbs
06/02/2000, 08:38 AM
I was gonna add it with the pvc tube method...I was gonna pester Larry for more details about it the closer it got to being time! :)

If the general opinion is that I NOT add it while the clam is there, I won't...We'll just have to work around that...I'm hopefully awaiting some good news from the MO place that has it! :)

Steve Richardson
06/02/2000, 09:02 AM
well..... you will see soon enough. ( :D )

I'm not kidding Jim - Try to put a couple of Lbs of Southdown sand in your tank (never mind 20-50Lbs)... and its going to look like someone dropped a big bag of flour in there.... no matter *how* careful you are. It is going to make a bit of a mess.

I wouldnt worry a speck about rinsing it... you are going to get *plenty* of 'dissolved minerals'... trust me. (laugh) :) In fact.. it might play some games with your alkalinity for a couple of days.

I've been wanting to swap the aragonite gravel I have for about a year now.... but after doing my own 'live sand test' in a 20G tank with the southdown sand... I didnt think it was really feasible withough major work...and disruption so I've just ignored the issue. ;) New tank? You bet, I'd do it in half a hartbeat.

:) I'm pulling for ya though bud! :) ... go for it.... and let us know how it goes. Perhaps I'll feel better about attempting it in my own tank after I see how much success you have.

-S

[This message has been edited by Steve Richardson (edited 06-02-2000).]

aLittletank
06/02/2000, 09:09 AM
Best Buddy AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH :D
I will be sending the sand on monday. I am the only one at the office today so I cant realy slip out to the post office.

Allen

KASESQ
06/02/2000, 09:22 AM
Jim- can you get ahold of a Diatom filter, hopefully the big one? I have seen these filters pull every particle of schmutz out of some very turbid tanks in a very short period. I would keep the clam elsewhere while you were doing this. fwiw, kasesq

Steve Richardson
06/02/2000, 09:28 AM
"schmutz"

laugh. :D

-S

KASESQ
06/02/2000, 09:43 AM
One of the few Yiddish words I can remember!Schmuck being the other...oy vay!

AquaNut
06/02/2000, 03:49 PM
If you have the option of purchasing the clam then having them hold it then I would think that would be your most logical answer...You can go about fogging up you tank however you want. I would think that no matter what you do, whenever you add any sand at all...you will still get the fogging...even with the most careful tube and funnel method...eventually when your powerheads go back on...SAND STORM!!! :)

My vote is to leave the clam where you're buying it...just pay for it so it won't be up for sale anymore and not take the chance of losing it. I'm sure the place you're getting it from...surely is making enough money from it and a few days to a week of taking care of your prized speciman isn't gonna be too difficult.

Goo Luck!
Alex

jimhobbs
06/02/2000, 06:27 PM
just a quick update!

They will hold it, and all aparently worked out ok! :) I'll get back with ya'll in a bit...gotta jump in the shower as company is coming over to oogle the tank! :)

Thanks guys!...Ya'll are the best!!! :)

jim

jimhobbs
06/03/2000, 05:09 AM
Good mornin' all! :)

Steve,
You got me thinking that the sand may actually hurt my other LPS corals as well :eek: I already have three to five inches in the tank; and mainly just wanted to build up the 3in areas to the depth of the rest of the tank...I might skip the sand addition all together when I see how the sand will act in the work tank...That is the one that needed a sandbed, and inhabitants consist of xenia{go figure ;)}, one tourch coral that the clown finally adopted{Yeah! :)}, one clown fish, one lawnmower blenny, and 17lbs marshall rock...If it takes several hours to clear, I might not add it to the home tank...I could add it to shimekdome, or use it for the new livesand-xenia breeding tank that I'm setting up next...As Ya'll can tell, I like my little tanks! :eek: The big one will come in a few years, but for now I get to learn on little ones :)

aLittletank,
Thanks dude! :) Hang in there on the no smoking!... I'm proud of ya! :D

Thanks all! You guys are the best!! :)

RCraw45425
06/03/2000, 07:41 AM
Hey Jim, are getting the clam from our favorite store, or are you MO'ing? Guy over here had a beauty yesterday, but I held off. He did give me a bubble tip anemone for my tomato clown, he's been tearing up the tank fanning sand on all my rock and corals. I was amazed at how that fish dove right into it! Never seen anything like it. Jeff even noticed it first thing last night after we got home for the evening, which is unusual for him, he usually has to look for a little while to realize what's new. Also added two Sally's, UGLY doesn't even begin to describe them. Saw the sand guy last night, but didn't ask about any since aLittle is sending you some. My sand has done great, but I added it to an empty tank. The thought of adding it now sends chills. Have a great weekend! Robin

------------------
tank at: members.xoom.com/jimhobbs/simba.htm (http://members.xoom.com/jimhobbs/simba.htm)

Zmann
06/03/2000, 07:50 AM
I have added HD sand to my tanks twice via pvc method. I have 1 maxima 2 derasa lots of lps and about 5 sps and have never had a problem with anyone of my inhabitants.

------------------
Our Little Ocean (http://www.fortunecity.com/boozers/bell/738)

CleveYank
06/03/2000, 12:22 PM
From what I have seen Clams generally like it best in the sand. And in the wild, sand is blowing around the reef all the time. The currents pick up rock, silt, sand, coral pieces and any other from of organic particles known. I think that if this was a problem then clams would have been extinct long ago. It might not make them happy as a clam but they probably just close up when the particles get too heavy or too often. Since they are so old in the evolutionary chain if they were flawed they would have changed or disappeared long before now if they were too sensitive to particulate matter getting in or around them. Oh yeah oysters are a close relative, right? And ever notice how "sandy" the little bastads are when you eat them?

Steve Richardson
06/03/2000, 12:31 PM
Zmann -

Give us some details please? :) How much sand, How big a tank, did you rinse the sand, and what sort of cloudiness did you get? How long did it last? Do anything special to deal with it? Get a white film over everything?

Like I said, I would love to do it myself, but from what I saw during my own tests... it didnt look very promising.

-S