PDA

View Full Version : dkH too high?

Zucker26
08/07/2007, 11:47 AM
I just set up a 29gal with a 10 gal sump. After about a month with FOWLR (want to get some corals after I get this chemistry straightened out), I started dosing Kent Marine's NanoReef 2-part solution every day (8ml daily as per the recommendations). After about 2 weeks of this, I tested with Salifert kits and came up with a dkH around 13 and calcium around 350 (provided I'm reading the kit correctly and the volume added is what you use in the chart and not actually the reading on the syringe). Either way, I'd like to get the dkH down and the calcium up. Is there any way I can do this with just the 2-part or do I have to start dosing yet another additive?

gregg@AMS
08/07/2007, 11:52 AM
13 is on the high side of OK. maybe shoot for 10-12.

every tank is different, and as you build your population, you will have to adjust how much buffer you add relative to the breakdown of organic matter in your system.

so, if you're on the high side right now, just don't add any buffer until you see it starting to drop below 10.

once your bio-mass is more or less constant, you will get a feel for how much buffer you need to add and how often to achieve the desired dkH.

bertoni
08/07/2007, 03:45 PM
The directions on the bottle are mostly for people who don't do any testing. I agree that some experimentation and time will show how much supplement your tank needs.