PDA

View Full Version : flow rate ???'s

rmedtr6
10/01/2002, 08:15 PM
So my Citron Goby, Hermits and snails are going to move to a 10 gal. for a week or two along with the Rock that is currently in my 7 bow. I am ordering new rock from Harbour Aquatics and putting a HOB aquafuge as well as two Microjet 320's in the 7 gal. The microjets will be on a timer, 20 sec on/ off. What's the concensus as far as water movement? The microjets would provide 32 GPH. The HOB aquafuge says to open up the valve which would give me 138 GPH thru the fuge. Way to much in my opinion. Should I only run this at half open? I was also considering a small PH, maybe another microjet on a spraybar at the bottom of the tank. This I could set at 40 sec on and 20 sec off. Would this be too much movement? Thanks in advance.

sven
10/01/2002, 09:13 PM
What else are you putting in the tank? Corals? Compared to the reef crest in the ocean, your current would be a joke. Lagoons and other calmer areas obviously a different story. If you want sps the high current will be appreciated.

rmedtr6
10/01/2002, 09:32 PM
Nothing too difficult. Polyps, Mushrooms, Maybe a Xenia and Bubble or Hammer down the road and possibly an electric scallop. ( I don't know why I never see these listed as part of someone's live stock. Am I missing something about these?)

onethumb
10/01/2002, 10:14 PM
Re: electric scallops

Turns out, they're difficult to keep, along with flame scallops. They need to be fed directly, and quite a bit of it, otherwise they slowly starve to death.

Part of the problem is that they like to hide behind and/or under your rocks in a safe little nook, which makes them A) difficult to feed, and B) hard to see.

Then people tend to move them out where they can see them and feed them, and they get stressed and move right back to where they were.

Eventually, they tend to die of starvation. :(

The people who do successfully keep them simple never move them and make sure they get fed a lot.

There are some threads on them with a lot more information, do a Search on scallops.

HTH

Don