PDA

View Full Version : can anyone identify this anemone

caver
12/26/2000, 09:25 AM
can anyone identify this guy??? i dont have sprungs book handy and im curious to know what he is ive watched him reproduce and split off 3 times so now i have 3 of them. click on my web page addy in my signature section on the post and look at page 3 picture #2 its in the top right slightly to the center of the picture. they havent hurt anyone so ive left them so far, and there kinda cool looking the picture doesnt do justice, but they have emrald green centers around the mouth with drab green tenticles.

thaks again

Clyde
12/26/2000, 09:34 AM
http://www.angelfire.com/nc2/reeftank/DCP00395.jpg

this pict ?

looks like aptasia.

caver
12/26/2000, 01:35 PM
can anyone else identify the above picture of the anemone????? i want to know for sure that it is aptasia, cause i dont think it is!!!!!!!

olgakurt
12/26/2000, 01:38 PM
I had a hard time finding the pic., but if I was looking at the right object, then I would guess..Anemonia Majano (sp?).

HTH

caver
12/26/2000, 06:50 PM
ok if its a manjo anemone, is he reef friendly, cause from what ive observed he doesnt really hurt anyone. and appears to be non aggressive.

Q-ball
12/26/2000, 07:59 PM
I agree on the aptasia call...as for agressiveness, I dunno...I've heard they are, hence why alot of people eradicate them, but I've yet to have any experience with that...all the ones I've had weren't anywhere close to anything to try to hurt. I can tell you my Niger Trigger has developed a taste for them for some reason:D I say if it ain't hurtin nuthin, why hurt it?

Q!!!

Evets
12/27/2000, 12:09 AM
I had a hard time with the picture, so I'm not taking a stab at the ID. However, if it is anemone mojado, get it out of there pronto. I had some sneak in on a piece of Vanuatu live rock and in no time at all my tank was (and still is) suffering from a plague of the creatures. They are much harder to eradicate than aiptasia, IME. If you ahce access to MCRA vol. 2 by Fossa & Nilsen, check out the pics and description of the above named pest on page 244. There is also a picture of it in MCRA vol. 1 on page 176. An excerpt from teh MCRA text: "...provided with enough light, will easily overgrow the complete aquarium decor". I'm hoping that this is not the anemone in your tank.
-Steve

JSM
12/27/2000, 08:19 AM
I agree, if it's majado get rid of it before it multiplies. They are extremely hard to kill. I tried injecting them with boiling kalk paste and they came back within a week...don't mess around with them or you'll have them everywhere!!!!

Janna