PDA

View Full Version : Aquarium Set up Help

Chronotrigger
08/03/2007, 11:47 AM
Hi can anyone located in Davis help me set up my aquarium? It's huge and I can't even lift it or move it around by myself. And I've never had an overflow/sump set up, so I need help setting that up as well.

I'll be gone until Sunday. But anytime Sunday night or the days after is fine. Thanks!

petes97
08/03/2007, 11:52 AM
Welcome to the forum! There are quite a number of people in Davis so I'm sure somebody will be willing and able to help out.

I might be heading that way Sunday to visit some family, so I'll give you a ring if I am. Private Message me with your contact info

-Pete

Chronotrigger
08/03/2007, 11:57 AM
Thanks for the welcome! Looking forward to going to my first Reef Club meeting later this month. Mike (in Sac) had told me about it.

PM sent.

Reefugee
08/03/2007, 12:16 PM
Chrono -

I would offer to help on Sunday, but I may still be in Monterey until late evening. BTW - how big of a tank are you getting? I can help you with the sump sometime next week.

Minh

Wee-Reef Master
08/03/2007, 12:29 PM
I'd be happy to help as well.

Chronotrigger
08/03/2007, 01:14 PM
Thanks Minh and wee reef master. I'll be camping in Yosemite, and won't get back till Sunday evening as well.

It's a 150 gallon. I live right off of Poleline, really close to the Nugget and Longs. I've sent you guys some contact info.

I've PMed contact info.

Chronotrigger
08/06/2007, 07:17 PM
Anyone yet?

Auntbeez
08/06/2007, 07:31 PM
When do you plan to do the set up? I would be willing to help but probably the best day would be on the weekend. Let me know what you have planned.
Barb

Nu2SW
08/06/2007, 08:39 PM
what days are u looking for.I have the next 2days off,but don't have a way up there.I live 20 minutes from you off I-5 and pocket. If you want to swing buy i could help.

Chronotrigger
08/06/2007, 08:45 PM
It's a really heavy aquarium, so I can't lug it around by myself. It's just sitting next to a wall at the moment.

As for set up, I'm looking for someone who knows how to set up an overflow and sump because I have never set one up before.

You can contact me at 951-553-8238. I don't mind picking up people. I'll probably need 2 people so I'd be great to have 2 people come at once. Any day is fine for me. I have the next week or so off.

Thanks everyone! :)

Chronotrigger
08/06/2007, 11:17 PM
It was a pleasure talking to you Edwin. Taking Edwin's advice I took some pictures so people can see what I have, and since I'm not familiar with all the hoses, pipies and return pumps, to discern whether I have enough equipment to start.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f72/NosDos/PICT0010.jpg
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f72/NosDos/PICT0009.jpg
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f72/NosDos/PICT0007.jpg
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f72/NosDos/PICT0005.jpg
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f72/NosDos/PICT0004.jpg

About half of the equipment came with the aquarium I bought from some guy in SF. He assured me everything was working.

The other half was bought from some folks around here.

Nu2SW
08/07/2007, 12:23 AM
Looks like everything is there. I'm curious as to which one he used for the return pump. Im thinking that iwakia (sp)

Does your skimmer have its own pump or did it use one of those 2?

Was the blue sump the one you got from someone else?

Well hopefully we can get someone else, It will be fun setting that up.

Chronotrigger
08/07/2007, 01:23 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10496879#post10496879 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Nu2SW
Looks like everything is there. I'm curious as to which one he used for the return pump. Im thinking that iwakia (sp)

Does your skimmer have its own pump or did it use one of those 2?

Was the blue sump the one you got from someone else?

Well hopefully we can get someone else, It will be fun setting that up.

Yeah it was the iwakia. It came from the guy I bought the aquarium from.

The skimmer does have it's own pump. It's currently being used in a trash can that is curing some live rock.

Yep, the blue sump was purchased locally.

I do hope we get someone too.

It'd be fun just to talk fish. :D

MrMikeB
08/07/2007, 07:15 AM
Heh, that blue sump and blue pump looks eerily familiar. ;)

So you have two sumps, one tank, a skimmer with its own pump, and two return pumps? You might have extra parts there. If you end up using the blue sump (which I highly recommend), and no longer need the other - contact me, I might be willing to buy it off you for a Quarantine tank I am putting together.

Also, is that the only overflow you have? It might be rated for less water than what you are looking to pump

I wish I had more available time to help you set that up, but I am swamped! :(

Reefugee
08/07/2007, 09:26 AM
Chrono - I am available tonight if you want me to swing by after work. I actually like not too far from you - sounds like a couple of blocks. I'll see if WeeReef Master can make it as well. As far as carrying the 150g tank - is it a glass or an acrylic tank? If it's glass, you might want at least three people. They can get pretty heavy!

Minh

Chronotrigger
08/07/2007, 10:18 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10497582#post10497582 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by MrMikeB
Heh, that blue sump and blue pump looks eerily familiar. ;)

So you have two sumps, one tank, a skimmer with its own pump, and two return pumps? You might have extra parts there. If you end up using the blue sump (which I highly recommend), and no longer need the other - contact me, I might be willing to buy it off you for a Quarantine tank I am putting together.

Also, is that the only overflow you have? It might be rated for less water than what you are looking to pump

I wish I had more available time to help you set that up, but I am swamped! :(

Good eye, Mike, it is your sump. heh.

yep two sumps, one tank, a skimmer w/ own pump, and 2 return pumps.
I'll see what I do with that other sump, but if I don't use it, I'll have it waiting for you. :)

Yeah that is the only overflow I have. I'm not even sure what it is rated for. But if the experts deem it too low, I can always just set it up temporarily, and then search for another overflow in the mean time.

Chronotrigger
08/07/2007, 10:20 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10498238#post10498238 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Reefugee
Chrono - I am available tonight if you want me to swing by after work. I actually like not too far from you - sounds like a couple of blocks. I'll see if WeeReef Master can make it as well. As far as carrying the 150g tank - is it a glass or an acrylic tank? If it's glass, you might want at least three people. They can get pretty heavy!

Minh

That would be great Minh. Around 6ish would be good. I'll call Edwin and see if he can make it. And if we could get WeeReef Master it would be perfect.

The 150 g is glass, so the more people the better.

Thanks again guys! I'm very exicted to meet everyone and to finally get things started. :dance:

Reefugee
08/07/2007, 11:06 AM
Sorry - but this morning I scheduled a Lasik orientation meeting until about 7ish. I can come over right after the meeting.

Chronotrigger
08/07/2007, 11:19 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10498839#post10498839 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Reefugee
Sorry - but this morning I scheduled a Lasik orientation meeting until about 7ish. I can come over right after the meeting.

That's fine too.

Nu2SW
08/07/2007, 11:56 AM
I'm free in the evening....

Chronotrigger
08/07/2007, 11:43 PM
Thanks Minh for stopping by.
I plan on doing a fish only with live rock tank.
I just have some general questions for those out there familiar with the overflows. Is this siphon tube one that I have above reliable or should I be worried that I would end up with water all over my floor?

Also should I turn the 2 wet dry filters into a refugium/sump or is it now worth the hassle with FOWLR? If so, anyone have any ideas on what the best way to go about converting it?

kdblove_99
08/08/2007, 08:58 PM
Yeah,

That overflow looks good. Looks like my Lifereef which i consider the best.

yours has that divider in there just like the lifereef so it will never lose siphon.

I would get another overflow as well more than likely that overflow is rated for about 600-700GPH.

I have one 700GPH and a 1400GPH on my 180 gallon. They are the Lifereef models