PDA

View Full Version : Deep Sand Bed lifespan?

Thinslis
08/02/2007, 08:20 PM
I keep hearing that a deep sand bed will crash after 5-6 years? I doubt I will be in this house long enough to see the 5 year mark, but should this be a concern as I plan my new tank? I have mixed feelings about bare bottom, I like the look of the deep sand bed better.

bertoni
08/02/2007, 08:24 PM
There's no evidence that a DSB that's been set up and maintained properly will die after 5-6 years. Many people, including me, have beds older than that. The conditions for setting up a DSB and keeping it going are fairly strict, though. This thread has some notes I wrote on substrate choices:

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=803688

kevin2000
08/02/2007, 08:27 PM
All substrates have a life .. that life depends on the particular tank.

If you want a DSB .. then do some research on what makes it work ... that always requires patience to let it mature .. and selective stocking (to make sure your fish etc don't eat everything your "patience" provided) and an occasional resplenishment of the infauna that really make a DSB work.

DSB's work very well .. but many new aquarist haven't a clue on hw to sustain them.

Thinslis
08/02/2007, 08:36 PM
That is a good article bertoni, question on stocking choice. Would a Diamond Goby be bad or good for a DSB?

bertoni
08/02/2007, 08:41 PM
Very bad.

Thinslis
08/02/2007, 08:42 PM
Thanks (Scratch that fish off the migration list to new tank).