PDA

View Full Version : Do shrimp shed skin and legs?

David P
09/30/2002, 08:44 PM
Do peppermint shrimp shed their "skin" like a snake with tentacles, legs and all? I dont think so but, I just put one peppermint shrimp, and one fire/blood shrimp in my new reef Saturday evening. Peppermint went flying behind the LR never to be seen again. Ive seen the Fire/blood shrimp several times. Today I get home and see the remainders of a shrimp. Assuming the peppermint shrimp died I started to pull it out. I then noticed the tentacles and legs of another shrimp next to the carcas. Thinking the blood/fire shrimp was having a dinner, I was quite sruprised when I saw a third shrimp (this one was the big red one) one the other side of the tank. The new(?) shrimp wont come out far enough for me to get a good look, but I think its a light pink, Is it normal for a good size shrimp to make it through lr cycling in a tub outside?

AZDesertRat
09/30/2002, 09:00 PM
My Coral Banded Shrimp sheds every couple months or so. He is 5 or 6 years old and has tripled in size.

rherron
09/30/2002, 09:02 PM
The molding your seeing is pretty normal....

David P
09/30/2002, 09:04 PM
I realize they molt or shed their skin, but what comes off, does it include legs and tentacles?

RicksReefs
09/30/2002, 09:11 PM
yup,it includes everything on the outside of
the shrimp,right down to antennae & eyeballs.

asmodeus
09/30/2002, 09:40 PM
It looks like a complete other shrimp.....................:eek1: :eek1: :eek1:

David P
09/30/2002, 10:05 PM
hey I thank all of you very much! Hopefully I can be of this much assistance to someone else in the near future