PDA

View Full Version : Bi-color blenny

rhythmicfire
07/31/2007, 06:19 PM
I have a bi color blenny and so far it has not taken pellets or mysis. The royal gramma in the tank with it takes everything readily (which isn't too surprising :) ). I was wondering if anyone had any tips for getting this little fella to eat? Or is he living off the hair algae and other algaes in my tank?

tia

glee
08/01/2007, 12:02 AM
try some Kent Garlic Xtreme. soak your pellets/flakes in it and the fish won't be able to resist. i use it whenever i introduce new fish. good luck!

delsol650
08/01/2007, 09:47 AM
The Bicolor Blenny is also known as the Two-colored Blenny. The Bicolor is so-named because the anterior half is blue to dull brown, and the posterior half is dull orange. Males are generally larger than females and experience a succession of color changes, including blue, when breeding. These Blennies exhibit great personality in the aquarium.
Generally found amid crevices and rocks on the bottom of its environment, the Bicolor Blenny needs a tank of at least 30 gallons with scattered rocks for perching and hiding. Opinions are mixed as to whether the Bicolor Blenny is a peaceful tank member and safe for invertebrates. Some believe the Bicolor Blenny is not safe with other species members and may pick on gobies and firefish. Others say the Bicolor Blenny is a peaceful community fish. Some say the Bicolor Blenny is safe around invertebrates and other sources say it will eat them. The best alternative is probably to combine these groups cautiously.

The diet of the Bicolor Blenny should include vegetable matter, including frozen and dried foods containing marine and blue-green algae. It will also feed on (and help control) algae growing in the aquarium.

delsol650
08/01/2007, 09:54 AM
another exerpt....

Dear Crew,
<Scott F. in tonight!>
Does anyone know how the Brown Combtooth Blenny, Atrosalarias fuscus, is typically collected? Specifically, whether chemicals are typically employed or whether these fish are generally subject to stressful transit due to their collection location? I purchased one on Wednesday and all was well, but this morning I found him serving as breakfast for my cleanup crew.
Thanks.
Andy Bulgin
<Interesting question, Andy. This is one of my absolutely favorite fishes! I did a little checking with a couple of my contacts at some wholesalers/transhippers here in L.A., and no one seemed to feel that they are subjected to any unusual collection practices. Most of them are net-caught, although there are collectors in parts of Indonesia and The Philippines that utilize chemicals to flush them from the rocky crevices in the reef where they are usually found. This practice, although less common than in the past, still occurs, unfortunately. For the most part, these little fishes do ship pretty well, although they do often go a long time without eating. Since a large part of their diet is composed of algae, they may take longer to adapt to captive life, and could be rather depleted by the time they reach the hobbyist. However, with careful quarantine and feeding, they generally adapt quite well. Hard to say what did yours in, but it could have been one, more-or none of the above-mentioned factors! In the end, you just need to use your judgment and select your specimen carefully. Good luck next time around! Regards, Scott F.>

arthurlo
08/01/2007, 10:27 PM
My bicolor seems to be happy eating algae scraped off the glass and meaty stuff (mysis and brine shrimp) as well.

How long has it been that your blenny hasn't been eating? It sometimes takes a week for a new fish to get acclimated to a new environment and destress enough to start eating.

muttley101
08/01/2007, 10:31 PM
I just returned one yesterday... It loved the taste of my sps...

Gary Majchrzak
08/01/2007, 10:35 PM
:thumbdown

secretive invert nipper

tuberider
08/02/2007, 01:11 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10463911#post10463911 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Gary Majchrzak
:thumbdown

secretive invert nipper Yup

delsol650
08/02/2007, 10:03 AM
Stick with a Lawnmower Blenny... it sticks to algae and rocks