PDA

View Full Version : Need a reliable submersible heater...

muttley101
07/31/2007, 05:35 PM
Hey guys,

I know I know.... its the middle of summer.... however I just bought a chiller and it has a heater plugin to help stablize the temperature.

I need one that is submersible to put in my sump and somewhat reliable....

Can you guys give me some feedback on what you are using?

Thanks in advance :D
-Mutt

Eight
07/31/2007, 05:41 PM
Ebo Jaeger... by far the best. The only brand I'll buy.

jtarmitage
07/31/2007, 05:45 PM
'Reliable' and 'heater' don't seem to apply in this hobby, however, Ebo Jaeger would also get my vote of the least unreliable.

Justin74
07/31/2007, 05:46 PM
Ive tried quite a few but my buck has stopped with the Jager heater. I posted a couple years ago asking the same cuz I was getting frustrated with the inconsistancies of all the other ones, even the suposed "cool new titanium" ones. Was pretty unanymous that everyone was happy with there Jager. Like I said a couple years ago and keep one in every tank now with only 1+/- degree flux, although the other one is 1.5 + flux on it's dial, so I just dial it down and it's very consistant, just calibrate it to a reliable thermometer(or two ;) ) and your ready to rock.

-Justin

petes97
07/31/2007, 05:47 PM
No longer ebo-jaeger, now eheim-jaegar and labeled as non-submersible, but many have tested and use fully submersed.

I like both my ebo and my eheim. The new eheim has temp markings, but can be calibrated.

Marko9
07/31/2007, 05:48 PM
I have a Jager as my backup heater, but my titanium is the best I have come across. It is made by Jalli, I believe.

muttley101
07/31/2007, 05:59 PM
Hey thanks guys for the quick responses... Looks like ebo or ehiem Jager is a good product... however I would like it to be submersible...

Does anyone know if they have a fully submersible unit.

-Mutt

Justin74
07/31/2007, 06:09 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10454343#post10454343 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by petes97
No longer ebo-jaeger, now eheim-jaegar and labeled as non-submersible, but many have tested and use fully submersed.

I like both my ebo and my eheim. The new eheim has temp markings, but can be calibrated.

Like petes97 said many have tested and use fully submersed, myself included for two years now 1 of those years up to the present has been used submersed also.

-Justin

petes97
07/31/2007, 06:30 PM
The issue with the eheim jaeger is that it needs UL certification to be "fully submersible" and so even though the product is still the same, they had to reapply for UL under the eheim name and the process hasn't yet completed. I have 2 fully submersed and 1 ebo.

Reefugee
08/01/2007, 12:29 AM
I have both the Ebo Jaeger and the Aquarium Systems Visi-Therm Stealth. Both appeared to function very well. Now I have all of my heaters are hooked up to a temperature controller as an extra precaution.

hab
08/01/2007, 12:49 AM
I rock the Stealth, no complaints here

muttley101
08/01/2007, 12:55 AM
yeah , I heard the stealth is submersible and pretty accurate.

boviac
08/01/2007, 01:36 AM
I have two Ebo-Jager's submerged and two Ehiem-Jager's submerged and have no problems what so ever. \

However, I have had one that I used to heat change water in the winter. One had drifted such that I kept having to increase the temp to get it to heat to 78F - settings of 88F then 90F until it simply woudn't heat to desired temp any more. I called their customer service but since it was outside of warrantee they couldn't help me. But at least it does still help when I want cold winter water (50F) heated in a hurry.

I suspect I simply didn't follow the directions well enough which say something like immerse the heater for 10 minutes before plugging it in so it can stabalize to the current water temp.

Live and learn but I heard Jager are the best and I've used them now for over 5 years - and plan to buy more for my tank upgrade... when I have the money that is.

ahullsb
08/02/2007, 05:33 PM
I have two stealths and haven't had problems with either one.

yoboyjdizz
08/02/2007, 06:38 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10468951#post10468951 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ahullsb
I have two stealths and haven't had problems with either one.

i agree i've own three for the past couple years and never had a problem..