PDA

View Full Version : need help!! id on this wrasse?

teamreefers
07/31/2007, 03:38 PM
I bought this wrasse today to save his life! the lfs was going out of business and sold him pretty cheap! The guy was going to flush him??? just don't know what kind of wrasse it is but it sure is pretty! I would like to know what the needs are for him to keep him healthy. until I can find a home for him. he is about 4 inches.
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=220825&papass=&sort=1&thecat=500

SRT80
07/31/2007, 03:48 PM
i believe thats a lunare wrasse.

Steve

SRT80
07/31/2007, 03:50 PM
http://www.saltwaterfish.com/site_11_03/product_info.php?products_id=490&parent_category=4&category_search=61&root_parent_id=4

fallinapart
07/31/2007, 03:54 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10453412#post10453412 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by teamreefers
I bought this wrasse today to save his life! the lfs was going out of business and sold him pretty cheap! The guy was going to flush him??? just don't know what kind of wrasse it is but it sure is pretty! I would like to know what the needs are for him to keep him healthy. until I can find a home for him. he is about 4 inches.
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=220825&papass=&sort=1&thecat=500

Looks like this one to me. Glad you were able to save it, Really looks like a pretty fish.

Norman

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=346

Lyretail Wrasse

Family: Labridae

Species: Thalassoma lunare

Size: 10 in (25 cm)

Diet: Carnivorous

Temperament: Aggressive

teamreefers
07/31/2007, 03:55 PM
yep that kind of looks like it althought this one has orange on it instead of pink? but I think your right? Thanks. Now on to taking care of him and finding him a home?

teamreefers
07/31/2007, 03:57 PM
could be that one too? humm

SRT80
07/31/2007, 03:59 PM
both are the same. guess u call it a lunare or lyretail.

steve

teamreefers
07/31/2007, 04:03 PM
mine does not have a yellow tail? also this one is very timid. took one look at my ill mannered yellow tang and high-tailed it under a rock?
( quaritine tank with the yellow tang who is a big bully) husband actually had to go fishing with a hook to catch the tang LOL so redneck???

SRT80
07/31/2007, 04:05 PM
maybe its faded or somethin' due to stress? I don't know, looks like a lunare to me?

Steve

teamreefers
07/31/2007, 04:20 PM
He probably is very stressed the man had him in a net head for the toilet with him when I step in and askef him what he was doing? Only took a second for me to tell him I would take him home. ( some folks just don't need to be in this hobby???) After i got home with him I started to acclimate him only got abouut an hour of dripping and it jumped out of the bag and into the tank? I sure hope he makes it?

teamreefers
07/31/2007, 04:22 PM
He probably is very stressed the man had him in a net head for the toilet with him when I step in and asked him what he was doing? Only took a second for me to tell him, I would take him home. ( some folks just don't need to be in this hobby???) After I got home with him I started to acclimate him; only got about an hour of dripping and it jumped out of the bag and into the tank? I sure hope he makes it?

jackal4eva
07/31/2007, 05:12 PM
These guys are amazing fish - you will love it. They are pretty strong so I am optimistic at him making it.

The lyretail and the lunare are the same - i think.

teamreefers
07/31/2007, 06:05 PM
I think you are right, he is alreay eating and swimming all over the place! my yellow tang I think has met his match? the wrasse is giving the yellow tang the what for already? You are rigght a very durable fish. but once I get him back on his fins I will have to find a home for him. I don't think I can keep him he is not reef safe? and I would have to move him 55 gals isn' enough room for him. and he can't go in my 200gal reef tank. so he needs a home. if anyone knows someone that might want him let me know please. I just wanted to save his life. I told that guy at the lfs you wouldn't flush a kitten or a puppy would you? he just looked at me funny? like HUH?

SRT80
07/31/2007, 07:05 PM
once you think it's ok, I'm sure findin' a home for it wont be a problem. Not sure exactly where you're from but I bet you could find another fish store to take it and maybe even get credit. They usually sale for around $30 locally I think? Maybe more or less?

Steve

KAiNE
07/31/2007, 08:30 PM
I got one in a FOWLR and he's a mean sob... came from ebay, they called him killer said he'd been out of the water in some live rock for hours one time.
I'd probably trust him with corals but he'll wipe out any shrimp in seconds.

Very hardy, active, interactive fish IMO.

streetracinsrt
08/01/2007, 06:00 AM
If your close by I'll take him I have a 95 gallon reef but i dont have any shrimp and dont plan on one any time soon.

SRT80
08/01/2007, 08:27 AM
I think they will eat snails too right?

Steve

fallinapart
08/01/2007, 10:55 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10457525#post10457525 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by streetracinsrt
If your close by I'll take him I have a 95 gallon reef but i dont have any shrimp and dont plan on one any time soon.

I have a rainbow wrasse that I'm taking back today, as he keeps hitting on the corals and snails and moving things around in the tank. Do not seem to be reef safe. At least the rainbow type is not.
'
Norman

teamreefers
08/01/2007, 07:15 PM
I am in lawrenceburg if anyone wants this wrasse I would like to get what I paid to rescue him. I only paid 10 for him! if not I will put him on Ebay?

NeveSSL
08/01/2007, 07:41 PM
I would suggest taking him to a local store for credit. You probably won't get much for him off eBay because they're a pretty common fish. Just my $.02. :)

Brandon