PDA

View Full Version : fish stocking rulee ..... i got questions

reefer4eva
07/30/2007, 09:05 PM
We have all heard of the 1 inch of fish per 2 gallons of water. But does this really work and would it be considered lightly stocking? Any info wouldd be gladly appreciated =) thanks

ACBlinky
07/30/2007, 09:36 PM
There is no hard and fast 'rule' when it comes to stocking. 1" of fish never made sense to me - 1" of a 2" goby is a lot less weight and waste production than 1" of a 10" trigger, which is not only a heavier-bodied fish but also a much messier eater.

I think it's also important to consider compatibility and the space/territory requirements of a given fish; some will feel comfortable in a tight group, others feel stressed and crowded much sooner.

I like to aim for 1 or 2 'large' fish (relative to the size of the tank), 1 or 2 'medium' fish and keep the rest small. I've got a yellow tang, a Lamarck's angel, a couple small damsels, an ocellaris clown, two gobies and a bicolour blenny in my 90g and feel it's fully stocked. It's a 120g system with 8 fish, levels stay at 0, and everyone seems to have enough space to feel comfortable.

reefer4eva
07/30/2007, 09:42 PM
Wow Thats truee never thought about compatibility. Thanks for the info ACBlinky

ACBlinky
07/30/2007, 10:00 PM
You're most welcome, glad to help :)