PDA

View Full Version : Most UnderRated and Most OverRated Corals

happyface888
07/28/2007, 11:28 PM
What do you think is the most underrated and overratted coral? And Why???

dots
07/29/2007, 01:12 AM
At one point or another, most LEs become overrated when they become too popular.....but that is the nature of anything that becomes mainstream and popular........hence the backlash we see today with SPSers somewhat being divided by those who collect LEs and those who don't.

Underrated........good question, but does "underrated" mean undisirable to most?

I just picked up a Tyree Montipora verrucosa today, which I find a VERY interesting piece that I have been wanting for a while, that have not seen many raves about.........Underrated or just out of style? Who knows......sure love the structure of it.

I don't know, I like the unusual and rarer shapes and types of SPS......but I am sure we could find some of your everyday pieces like Xenia and Frogspawns and Mushrooms that make up a large staple of the market that could be considered "underrated"

What would you consider over and under rated?

jjkief86
07/29/2007, 01:35 AM
not really a coral but overrated/over-priced= rose anemone.

dots
07/29/2007, 02:32 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10436556#post10436556 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jjkief86
not really a coral but overrated/over-priced= rose anemone.

Well thats what I was toying with when talking about LEs.....but there is a lot of stuff that commands a high price like LE SPS versus AC or wild and "real" Rose Anenome.

Most of this stuff is more valuable because it holds its color. I have seen a TON of anenome that claim to be roses only to fade and turn dull after a while.......I think some of those Chinese imported green and pinkish/orange/red ones eventually do that.

Corals are usually valued per a specific reason, be it specie, color, morphology, ability to hold said characteristics.........

Like I said, interesting question.......that could give insight to what everyone "values"..........my definition of overrated would be a piece that has been over saturated in the market, but still commands a price........however this could be debated when this "oldie but goodie" is compared still to a wild or AC piece that will probably not fair as well.

However, I still don't know how the market is set because I am not in the business.......but am curious about the nature of the beast.

Gresham or anyone else in the industry, do you have any insight that you can share on this? I believe the root of "over rated" vs "under rated" is a product of the industry and "buzz/hype" about the pieces.

I am really interested in how the hobbists and people in the industry effect one another and contribute to the "scene"......I am always wondering if its the chicken or the egg.......

kurplunk
07/29/2007, 11:04 AM
Overrated-any Zoos (colored aiptasia )

sfsuphysics
07/29/2007, 11:06 AM
Right now? I'm going to say anything Aussie is overrated, that's not to say it's nice, but the boners people are getting whenever they hear the word Aussie is quite... annoying sometimes.

I'll also say with dots a lot of "LE" stuff is overrated, simply because anyone can put that label on a coral, not saying it's not nice stuff, but what seriously gives people the "right" to call something "Limited"... A couple corals that are limited, I look at, and I say to myself "Hmmm I've had a coral that looks just like that for a few years now, they're asking HOW MUCH per frag? Yikes!

But I've always disliked the naming scheme, simply because there are too many variations out there to honestly put a name on them, name them via the colors you see and keep it simple.

Ok enough rantiness :D

Underrated: Many soft corals that almost have weed like growth, very colorful, very dynamic in a tank, people just don't care about as much it seems.

blink*
07/29/2007, 02:26 PM
Did somebody say aussie? Man, I feel an erection coming on....
Zoos are a bit overrated, in my opinion. "colored aiptasia", heh. Good one. Lobophyllia is underrated, in my opinion. I never fail to get a kick out of feeding mine and watching what's essentially a rock eat mysis.

Cozen89
07/30/2007, 12:17 AM
over and underrated is all in the eye of the beholder. Some people really enjoy frog spawn/xenia/mushrooms which are relatively inexpensive and to some, looks way better than some sps frags that cost $200 for a 1/4 inch frag that carry a big time name. Besides, everything that is rare will eventually become common after everyone grows them out and distributes them.

If you like something, you like something and if it's worth it to you, that's all that really matters.

joel sandoman
07/30/2007, 01:19 AM
i liked the san diego zoo. what zoos are you guys finding overrated? oh wait did you mean zoas?

stubbsz
07/30/2007, 04:02 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10437993#post10437993 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kurplunk
Overrated-any Zoos (colored aiptasia )

I guess that is just targetted to irritate folks who like Zoas but I'll bite. I guess if I had bright blue aiptasias that grew in mats very slowly and didn't appear all over my tank and kill things, then I'd rate coloured Aiptasia a fairly high.