PDA

View Full Version : Simple question

72olds455
07/28/2007, 10:26 PM
Just curious, when making a plywood tank instead of using epoxy/fiberglass to seal the wood would it be possible to use plexi or acrylic to seal it. I.E. adhear the acrylic to the wood and seal the corners with silicone. Then just add a glass pain for the front also sealed with silicone.

skriz
07/29/2007, 12:00 AM
yep

72olds455
07/29/2007, 12:17 AM
It seems like this would be cheaper and eaiser than epoxy, why have I never seen this, I doubt I am the first to suggest it.

aninjaatemyshoe
07/29/2007, 12:09 PM
Interesting concept. It could work considering that the silicone will be just for sealing and not for structural stability. Heck, if this works you could use PVC sheeting instead, which would potentially be more versatile.

(This question warrants a better thread title!)

72olds455
07/29/2007, 02:18 PM
Is there a way that I can update the title?

aninjaatemyshoe
07/29/2007, 02:25 PM
Don't think so, you might try just putting in a new thread. Chances are the title it has now won't garner much attention from those who could provide the best answers.

BrainBandAid
07/29/2007, 03:57 PM
Silicone doesn't adhere to acrylic very well... ie your corners... but it could be used as a "gasket" instead of a sealant somehow, like behind the acrylic? I just wouldn't trust the silicone with the acrylic over time. Especially with no epoxy or anything between the acrylic and wood.
I would go with the PVC as well... it may be a little harder to find, but would be a better choice IMO.

Can I ask why you don't want to use epoxy? You may not have to use fiberglass, if that's what is holding you back. Just curious.

aninjaatemyshoe
07/29/2007, 04:03 PM
I can see one clear advantage: you don't have to worry about possibly not applying the fiberglass thoroughly enough.

PVC sheeting is readily available at local plastic distributors, very common in that arena. Sure, you can't find it at Home Depot, but you can't find QUALITY acryilic sheeting there either.

72olds455
07/29/2007, 07:38 PM
My thought was with the sheet of PVC or whatever being supported structuarly by the wood the bonds where the PVC meet would not have to be strong, just water tight. If silicone does not stick to PVC very well would there be a safe and reliable way to adhear the viewing pain of glass?

aninjaatemyshoe
07/29/2007, 09:46 PM
If done correctly, the water pressure would keep the seal by pressing against the silicone. The same is the idea with the pane of glass. The idea is to have the water pressure push the glass against the frame of the tank with the silicone in between, which actually prevents water from seeping. Certainly if you were trying to use silicone to bond an acrylic tank without the structural support it would end in disaster because the bonds will not be able to handle such pressure to keep the panels together. I don't know if silicone poorly adheres to pvc or not, perhaps someone else can chime in on this one.