PDA

View Full Version : I need help making a fuge

buttons buster
07/27/2007, 07:06 PM
Hey guys i'm trying to make a refuge for my 2 gallon pico.
I already have the container that i'm making it in, but I sti;; need help.
The problem is that neither can be drilled, so I was wondering how water exchange could work between the two?
Any help/advice would be appreciated

funman1
07/27/2007, 07:22 PM
Need pics and specs of what you have?

buttons buster
07/27/2007, 07:27 PM
It's just a fish bowl.
I could get specs in a little bit if you really want me to.
Is there any way to transfer water to and from this from the pico tank.
The refuge can't go below the tank, but it can be even, or above it.

buttons buster
07/27/2007, 07:36 PM
Don't know the specs yet, but here's the pic:
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=4tyxmar

Is there anything that can be done?

Marko9
07/27/2007, 07:57 PM
One question- Why do you need a refugium?

bobbyblank
07/27/2007, 08:11 PM
diddo

buttons buster
07/27/2007, 08:50 PM
*ditto*

I wanted to add some more overall volume, and help stabilize the tank.

If you think that it is fine the way it is then I probably won't even bother.

funman1
07/27/2007, 10:16 PM
I'm all for DIY projects but this would be really hard.

You'd need to drill the main tank and have it overflow to the fish bowl, and then use a really tiny power head to pump the water out of the fish bowl back to the main tank.

I think using syphon over the back w/ power head for return is asking for a SW mess.

eagleONE
07/27/2007, 10:28 PM
So, I don't know if you necessarily need a fuge. How many gallons is it? I came up with some ideas, but for something this small, this a bit of a challenge. A glass bowl doesn't help either....

You can have two pumps running. One in, one out. I know they make small pumps for like phosban reactors so you can use one of those...

or somehow cut the the bowl (without shattering) to make a lip and just have one pump pushing in and have the water flow out the lip into the tank.

Perphaps you can build an overhang on the back?

OH! sort of bouncing off that idea... build an extenstion to the tank and create chambers in the back

Another option is to mod that over hang you have now... I don't know the entire dimensions, so I am not certain if it would provide enough space and the fuge you want.

I think I went a little overboard on this.. =) It's been a while since I've been on the forums...I'm shooting ideas. I hope it helps.

Jay

saltykelly
07/27/2007, 11:18 PM
I think this is a doable project, but you would need to scrap the fish bowl. Just build a fuge out of 1/4" plexiglass. You can make the height lower than the pico and it could be drilled. A lot more would be possible. Otherwise I would scrap the whole idea. Too hard, and it wouldn't be worth the gain.

sumyungviet
07/28/2007, 01:02 AM
you could also build a small base for the tank to sit a little higher up.

buttons buster
07/28/2007, 01:07 AM
Alright.
I could make a plexiglass chamber that is lower, and I am open to other options, but what to do from there?

Also how much would the plumbing and pumps cost?

buttons buster
07/28/2007, 01:17 AM
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=4m387l4
I also have this that I can use.
It is acrylic and is higher than the tank(not by much).
Is there anything that I can do with this?

eagleONE
07/28/2007, 01:35 AM
Actually that would work. A little cutting here and you got your self a fuge.

If you don't want to use the entire thing for a fuge and concerned with it's size. You could cut it in half (or however large you want it) and seal to the back of your tank. Use the remaining pieces from the half and make baffles or chamber or whatever you want. You may not even have to have a pump.

Jay

buttons buster
07/28/2007, 01:44 AM
I don't really want to cut it in half and I think I want the extra gallonage though.
Where and how do I drill the holes?
i kinda want to do it without having the acrylic crack.

eagleONE
07/28/2007, 01:49 AM
take a dremel

buttons buster
07/28/2007, 01:53 AM
wait what?

eagleONE
07/28/2007, 04:15 AM
oops sorry to leave you hanging... you can take a dremel or some sort of rotary tool and make a hole in the acrylic.

buttons buster
07/28/2007, 10:05 AM
but what about for overall plans?
Like where to drill? etc
Like how is the water going to get too and from each tank?
thanks

saltykelly
07/28/2007, 10:50 AM
I would dremmel two holes in the fuge. Both just above you pico's rim. Silicone pvc to the holes and one will be attached to a pump for inlet and one would only need a 90 degree elbow for the return. But I would buy some small pieces of plexi to chamber it.

buttons buster
07/28/2007, 11:02 AM
how exactly would the pump work?
whee do you buy it?