PDA

View Full Version : Light spectrum vs algae

Vincerama2
07/27/2007, 04:18 PM
My tank HAD caulerpa invading it like crazy. This was like 2 years ago. I switched from 10K *(175W MH x 2) lights to a 12K and a 14K bulb. The caulerpa disappeared, but now corraline was growing all over the glass. I swapped back to 10K's and now I have green hair algae everywhere!

I'd rather deal with the bluer lights and the corraline than the green hair (or caulerpa) algae.

Has anyone else noticed a corralation between light spectrum and types of algae growth? Or am I stating the obvious?

V

Bebo77
07/27/2007, 04:26 PM
never heard this before...

delsol650
07/28/2007, 02:16 AM
I've heard of algae getting bad once the bulbs get older and change spectrums... and nusiciance algae dying off when changing to newer bubls and better spectrum....

sfsuphysics
07/28/2007, 11:15 AM
I think you're stating the obvious V. You drastically reduce red & yellow spectrums by going to a bluer bulb, you'll end up reducing the ability of algae to grow. However things like coraline which thrive off bluer light will do better.

If you'll getting a massive algae outbreak by switching bulbs however it means the key aspect of algae growth, nutrient issues, are still with you however.

I have the same issues with my sunlit frag tank, red poofy algae galore. But my main tank, not much at all, only in little nooks with little flow do I even see any algae.