PDA

View Full Version : Lighting choices for 48"x20"x20"

Kinetic
07/27/2007, 01:49 PM
I'm thinking of some lighting options, and was wondering what you guys think.

The tank I may be setting up is a 48" x 20" x 20" bow, which is 23" at the widest area.

I know that 250watt covers approximately 24" x 24" x 24" of volume for our salt tanks.

What about 150watt? Would it be quite enough for a 20" deep tank, hung 6 inches off the water or more?

I'm definitely going to get a two halide setup with t5 actinic supplement.

Some fixtures I was thinking of include:
Maristar HQI + T5
Giesmann Infinity HQI + T5
Sfiligoi SolSet II HQI + T5

I really like that sleek silver giesmann =)

Anyway, just wanted some BAR input on this ;)

Reefer_Addickt
07/27/2007, 02:25 PM
I would think that 150 will be too low, or just barely minimum.

Personally would go 250 or higher.

Nuuze
07/27/2007, 02:53 PM
Depends...

150w won't give you as much heat problems as 250w would and 150w is of course lower energy.

I upgraded from 150w to 250w. So far in the last couple months I do notice a bit more coloration and faster growth. But I also had to upgrade my chiller from a 1/10 to a 1/4.

If it's 150w you are sure of don't forget to look at the Elos PII, it runs IC MH ballasts, built very nice inside and out. If you go with Sfiligoi check with Greg at Reef Geek. He was blowing out XR4's and SoleSets out at half price a couple months ago when I got mine.

Kinetic
07/27/2007, 03:03 PM
thanks for the suggestions. I might go for the dual 250's, but only have both on for 3 hours of the day...

sfsuphysics
07/27/2007, 03:16 PM
Why actinics? Why not do a bluer bulb, since you're only having them on a few hours a day, and use whiter T5 lights to lessen out the blue?

Bebo77
07/27/2007, 03:19 PM
why not get a lumenarc?

Kinetic
07/27/2007, 03:55 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10427080#post10427080 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by sfsuphysics
Why actinics? Why not do a bluer bulb, since you're only having them on a few hours a day, and use whiter T5 lights to lessen out the blue?

I want to go with a whiter bulb for more growth, but I still want to keep the color. I switched lamps recently from 20K to 14K, and lost a bit of color but now have amazing growth. I'm thinking with actinics it'll let me run 14 maybe 10K lamps for growth, plus I can do the "sunrise/sunset" with just the actinics on. I'm going to have the halides on for about 8 hours of the day, but only both on for 3 hours to lessen on heat / power consumption.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10427109#post10427109 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Bebo77
why not get a lumenarc?

It's gonna be a total show tank, with a hanging pendant, in my opinion the lumenarcs are kinda ugly hanging and really tall as well. For good reason, I know, but this tank will be a show tank, inside and out. I'll probably get some LA mini's for my frag tank in the basement though ;)

hawaiianwargod
07/27/2007, 04:34 PM
Kinetic,

I would go with the Maristar or the Giesmann Infinity HQI + T5....looks sweet with the euro style you want to achieve. I heard horror stories regarding Sflligoi...I have the Sfili pendant, so far it works flawlessly(knock on wood)! but for the peace of mind...I'll go with the other route.
Can I officially welcome you to the E! family? ;)

Kinetic
07/27/2007, 04:42 PM
didn't fliger go through hell and back because of fuse problems with the sfili? but I currently have a maristar but it's the single 250w + t5, it looks pretty good already. the giesmann is really really sweet looking too.

I haven't made my decision on the tank yet, I'm going to see it this weekend to check it out in person. I'm going to take my coupe instead of my truck just to stay in control ;) hehehe

Marko9
07/27/2007, 04:50 PM
I love my maristar. I have the 2x250 HQI. Iused to run giesemann bulbs, but I have switched to pheonix 14k. I still run actinic+ Giesemann T5's.

The Blue wave ballast is a great ballast to boot.

Eight
07/27/2007, 04:53 PM
I've got the Maristar as well... same setup as Marko9 actually! Nice system, I have it on a 72 gallon bow. Only complaint is it's heavy as hell and I don't really like the way the legs look. Otherwise, it's fantastic. Very high quality.

hawaiianwargod
07/27/2007, 04:54 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10427675#post10427675 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Kinetic
didn't fliger go through hell and back because of fuse problems with the sfili? but I currently have a maristar but it's the single 250w + t5, it looks pretty good already. the giesmann is really really sweet looking too.

I haven't made my decision on the tank yet, I'm going to see it this weekend to check it out in person. I'm going to take my coupe instead of my truck just to stay in control ;) hehehe

Good idea regarding taking your coupe! I know exactly what you mean...looking at those [~] glass could hypnotized you!:lol:

So excited for you! putting a new setup together is quiet a rush!
GL!
J

sfsuphysics
07/27/2007, 07:11 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10427370#post10427370 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Kinetic
I want to go with a whiter bulb for more growth, but I still want to keep the color. I switched lamps recently from 20K to 14K, and lost a bit of color but now have amazing growth. I'm thinking with actinics it'll let me run 14 maybe 10K lamps for growth, plus I can do the "sunrise/sunset" with just the actinics on. I'm going to have the halides on for about 8 hours of the day, but only both on for 3 hours to lessen on heat / power consumption.

I understand your desire for growth, however with 3 hours a day I don't know how much of an impact that'll really have, because your actinics will give very little usable growth light.

Also if you do 3 hours of day + actinics the rest of the day, you're going to have a really purple/blue tank most of the time the lights are on.

But hey it's your tank :)

Nuuze
07/27/2007, 08:06 PM
If you're not in a rush Elos PII are coming out with 250w versions soon I hear from Jesse...

Sfiligoi fixtures are actually lumenarc like but be careful with the magnetic versions. hawaiianwargod has not reported any problems but fliger had nothing but problems. They seem to be hit or miss with problems or not. But if you are considering one make sure its the updated version with IC ballasts or if you decide ACLS route.

Maristar & Giesmann are also sexy fixtures! :)

Kinetic
07/27/2007, 09:05 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10428685#post10428685 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by sfsuphysics
I understand your desire for growth, however with 3 hours a day I don't know how much of an impact that'll really have, because your actinics will give very little usable growth light.

Also if you do 3 hours of day + actinics the rest of the day, you're going to have a really purple/blue tank most of the time the lights are on.

But hey it's your tank :)

Woops, sorry, I messed up my description! I meant that there will be halide lighting for 8 hours of the day, but only 3 hours of those 8 will BOTH the halides be on. So It's kind of an odd number... maybe 4 hours would be better. So for example:

7pm Actinics turn on
8pm Halide 1 turns on
10pm Halide 2 turns on
12am Halide 1 turns off
2am Halide 2 turns off
3am Actinics turn off

Keith Le
07/28/2007, 12:49 AM
I really like my Giesemann 230 but be warned, its really heavy. It must weigh at least 40lbs. I've also owned the Giesmann 260 Moonlight and thought it was great as well. Having a LCD display on the side of your fixture is kinda cool. I'm not sure if they're worth the hefty price but I do like their fixtures.
-K