PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy 15g tank, live rock, and sand

zergling
07/27/2007, 12:54 PM
hey guys, i'm about to setup my first decent attempt on a saltwater tank (after 13 on-off yrs with freshwater), and need some help on where to get.

15g tank. I don't mind the black trims, and I won't be drilling it. I believe the dimensions are 24"x12"x12"

Live rock. I can order the nano rocks from liveaquaria, but I'd much rather go and handpick from a local store if the price is right.

Sand. The sand is more for aesthetics.....home depot? what brand? is yard right tropical play sand available here in our area? or pavestone pulverized limestone?

thanks for all the help!

delsol650
07/27/2007, 12:57 PM
Here's a sticky for begginers....

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1031074

good luck

zergling
07/27/2007, 01:09 PM
thanks delsol650, i've been reading as much threads for beginners as I could for the past 2 weeks.

The setup will pretty much be a FOWLR with sand.

Water will be ro/di from costco, until I figure out what RO/DI unit I want and if I can actually hook it up in the apartment. Instant Ocean salt mix most likely. I haven't decided on what exact refractometer yet, still researching.

DIY HOB Refugium with chaeto, and 2 powerheads for water circulation.

No skimmer or strong lighting for the moment, as I'm not comfortable with corals just yet. If I do want to take that challenge, I'll get a 4 footer, and this will become qt/hospital.

Stocking would be a false percula and clean-up crew.

jkreefer
07/27/2007, 10:44 PM
Hey Zergling

Dont use the sand from home depot, you want to use an Argonite sand or you can get live sand. Also even though you are not doing corals yet it's not a bad idea to have a small HOB skimmer to help remove some fish poop. If you are going to the next meeting i have one that you can have for real cheap. And odont forget when you get it running......POST PICS!!!!!

zergling
07/28/2007, 02:17 AM
thanks jkreefer for the tips, I'll keep those in mind :)

delsol650
07/28/2007, 02:27 AM
my RODI is actually portable... I just hook it up to 1 of my bathrooms when I need it... mine is the ocean reef + 1 or something like that from filterguyz.biz it comes with the DI as well and also got a booster pump to raise pressure to 90lbs.

zergling
07/28/2007, 07:11 PM
thanks delsol650.

so where do you guys get new live rock? order online? buy/trade from other BAR members?