PDA

View Full Version : Two thumbs down for Tunze and Reef Exotics. Stay away!

RobTheReefer
07/27/2007, 10:30 AM
:thumbdown

Anyone buying the old-style Tunze streams, make sure you open up the driver box and check the date as soon as you get it. I bought a 6100 from Reef Exotics on February 24, 2007. The driver crapped out on it already. Tunze won't honor the warranty, saying that the driver is out of warranty! How is that possible? Reef Exotics also gets two thumbs down. :thumbdown

The crappy mounting bracket broke within a week of getting the 6100. Good thing I didn't bother trying to get it replaced.

Hopefully I'll get some satisfaction from American Express' Buyer's Assurance Plan.

:thumbdown

Engine 7
07/27/2007, 10:36 AM
Good luck :)
I own a lot of Tunze items and have found great customer service from them. Sorry you are having a problem.

jdieck
07/27/2007, 11:00 AM
The warranty should start from the date of purchase not the date of manufacturing. If you have the invoice you can prove that date.

jmait769
07/27/2007, 11:04 AM
Did you try Roger in the Tunze sponsor forum? He’s usually very helpful.

Be aware that the American Express' Buyer's Assurance Plan ain’t all they say it is. I ordered an item that a company refused a return on. I contacted American Express' Buyer's Assurance Plan and they asked a lot of questions until they asked me if I had used the item. I said yes and they said “sorry, if it is used we cannot help you”. I asked how I could know if it was defective if I hadn’t tried it? No luck. Better to dispute the charge if you can!

Jay

rvitko
07/27/2007, 11:13 AM
The warranty is two years from date of purchase, if that cannot be verified then the date of manufacture is used. In this case Ronald sent me a driver only, no pump connected, the driver was made November 9, 2004, it has a date stamp and I can verify this by the circuit board layout as well. He owns a wavebox he purchased used in early 2006, the whole transaction is on this board. He also swapped drivers apparently to determine it was the driver that was the problem. This driver does not go to the pump he purchased February 26 from Reef Exotics. How would it be that people wait weeks for these pumps and a fairly popular internet vendor has one on the shelf for over 2 years? Ronald was offered a replacement at a discount of 25% and my decision was made after a great deal of research and contacting both the factory and the vendor ruled out any possibility that this driver corresponds to this purchase.

Iammatt219
07/27/2007, 11:14 AM
Did you try contacting Tony at reef exotics?

snorvich
07/27/2007, 12:57 PM
It has been my experience that Tunze, as personified by Roger Vitko, is one of the MOST ethical and customer oriented vendors around. Certainly it is one that I trust enough to always buy their products when deciding between vendors.

RobTheReefer
07/27/2007, 01:42 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10426156#post10426156 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by snorvich
It has been my experience that Tunze, as personified by Roger Vitko, is one of the MOST ethical and customer oriented vendors around. Certainly it is one that I trust enough to always buy their products when deciding between vendors.

I'm glad you had a good experience. I take back everything I said about Tunze and Reef Exotics, and I will proudly eat this $332.93 powerhead. :rolleyes:

When anyone else has one of their overpriced powerheads fail prematurely, I urge you to eat your losses as well.

Thanks snorvich. :)

snorvich
07/27/2007, 04:08 PM
If eating the $332.93 powerhead empowers you, I suggest that you should enjoy doing so. I have no experience with Reef Exotics but I do have a LOT of experience with Tunze. When something fails within warranty, it is quickly fixed and returned. I suspect that if it is NOT within warranty, that Roger will find some way of trying to accommodate you which he says he did. In any case, you are most welcome, I am happy to help.