PDA

View Full Version : what heater do you run?

triggerjay
07/27/2007, 08:27 AM
I just bought an Azoo titanium 300w for the new setup... have not heard much negative or positive about them... anyone ever run one?

Jason

Reefdiver72
08/15/2007, 05:00 PM
Keep an eye on it I had one and after about 3 months it started rusting and then stuck full on and in 4 hrs cooked my tank. I run 2 littler ones now for I dont have to worry. They are Jaegers or something like that. I put them in my sump for I dont have to see them.

hambandit
08/17/2007, 12:37 PM
how can a titanium anything rust?

Reefdiver72
08/17/2007, 05:34 PM
because they dont use good titanium!!!!! stainless will rust also if the conditions are right. everyone I have ever had has rusted or corroded at the cap where the wires hook into it. and have shorted out.

aquaconnect
08/17/2007, 05:58 PM
I just use the sun, it's much easier.

SoupySteve
08/18/2007, 01:21 PM
I have a big - ol "stealth" heater of some sorts I picked up back at Exotic Tropicals. It's not metallic or glass - looks like it's covered in pick-up truck bed liner- at ~3years old, it still works, though it's rarely on - hell, I've been considering a chiller!

talon4x4
08/18/2007, 01:59 PM
I've got a couple of those black "stealth" heaters from Petsmart. I believe its all plastic, at least as far as I can see, so no worries about rusting. I also like the fact that they are fully submersible.

triggerjay
08/18/2007, 11:19 PM
The azoo titanium came in a couple of weeks ago, and heres what I think so far:

1. The thermostat is not calibrated properly. I have two thermometers in the tank, both read 80* F, and the temp on the azoo is set at 90* and it cycles on and off at this setting, telling me it has reached the setpoint.

2. When I first installed it, my 55g frag tank (which is all I am heating with it) was 64*. It took two days to reach the 80* mark. I am sure this will be waaaay undersized for my 120g, w/100g sump, attached 55g frag tank, and attached 20g fuge.

3. Heater is rated at 300w, which I do not beleive.

The reason I need a good STRONG heater is that most of my total system volume is in the basement. (175g) My basement stays about 60* or so year round. The only thing upstairs will be the main 125g display. So I dont think I will need a chiller, but will need a reliable heater, that will be large enough to get the job done. I have seen no rust issues to speak of, but it has only been in the tank for about 2 weeks. I have thought about removing it just to see what happens when the salt laiden metal is exposed to the air... thats when I expect rust to set in if it is going to.. I have had no issues with the thermostat sticking on or off however.. but the thermostat does appear to have a built in mechanical relay, which over time (maybe soon, maybe later) will eventually fail. I think a reverse solid state relay would have been a better choice. (reverse due to the fact that the triacs in solid state relays almost always fail in the closed position). Well thats my skeptical opinion on it so far. On a 1 to 10 rating, at the moment I would rate it a 5 due to the thermostat calibration issue, and the use of a cheap mechanical relay. Thats my .02

Jason

Reefdiver72
08/19/2007, 11:16 AM
they usually last me around around 3 months I have just use the old ones for heating rodi water to put in my tanks till they totally give up. And it has always seemed 90 was 79 to 80 degrees also when they stick on it only takes about 4 hours to get to 100+ degrees in 150 or close gallons of water. just be careful

hambandit
08/19/2007, 07:23 PM
anyone ever use a controller and just let that regulate it? then no worries about them sticking on or anything

Reefdiver72
08/19/2007, 07:46 PM
never thought about that really good idea thanks I just wired around the fuse in a via agua stainless heater and was reading on the box they are not for saltwater but sold at saltwater stores guess I will have to start reading all the directions and the box.