PDA

View Full Version : Does a Lumenarc cut the shimmer just like a LumenMax?

E-A-G-L-E-S
07/25/2007, 05:21 PM
Just wondering if the Lumenarc reflectors cut the shimmer way down like the LumenMax?

GSMguy
07/25/2007, 05:22 PM
why do you say they cut down shimmer?

not disputing its just something i havent heard yet

E-A-G-L-E-S
07/25/2007, 05:25 PM
I don't know why actually. I just have experience with the LumenMax 2 and it cut the shimmer WAY down. For two weeks I had one side of my tank with a spider and the other a LumenMax 2 and it was astonishing the difference.
And my surface movement is very similar throught the top.

TwistedTiger
07/25/2007, 05:37 PM
I haven't noticed a difference.

GSMguy
07/25/2007, 05:41 PM
could it just be that its so much brighter that it has less light shadows thus less shimmer

orlike with t5s the light source is even so less shadows

jtarmitage
07/25/2007, 05:48 PM
The large shaped reflectors spread the point source of the MH and thus reduce the shimmer, and it will be the same for any LumenMax or LumenArc style of reflector. If you think about it, the shimmer is really the different refraction of light as is goes through a particular ripple on the surface, and if the light is spread out all over the ripple, as oposed to one side or the other, the ripple will no longer created the shade line, or shimmer lines as well. It will still be there, just not as distinct.

E-A-G-L-E-S
07/25/2007, 05:53 PM
jtarmitage....makes perfect sense, thanks!

DarG
07/25/2007, 06:04 PM
That is the one thing I worried about as I switch over to Lumenmax 3's in the next few days. But the way I figure it, there has still got to be a good amount of shimmer. Maybe not what you get with a smaller reflector or a reflector that does a lousy job at spreading the light. But an 11 x 11" Lumenmax 3 cannot possibly have relatively no shimmer like T5 or VHO. No matter what it does with the spread, you still have the light directly from the bulb and you still have some hot spot. And I would think that because of that, it still has to create some decent shimmer.

I asked about this a few days back and most everyone that replied stated that they still had very noticeable shimmer lines with these reflectors. So, atleast I hope it's still there. Maybe the spiders just create huge amounts of shimmer so the Lumenmax look like they have little in comparison?
Maybe the 3's with DE's have more than the SE version?

I can't lose my shimmer. That's the most appealing thing to me with Metal Halide from a personal preference point of view.

GSMguy
07/25/2007, 07:24 PM
my reefoptix has good shimmer but as i understand it it isnt the best for spread anyway.