PDA

View Full Version : A Sad Day

luxo1
07/25/2007, 03:43 PM
I have been in the hobby for almost 4 months now.
I lost my first fish today -- he had been acting strangely for a few days, and never seemed to adjust to the tank. A segmented Blennie.
It's very sad -- I know it happens.

I did a water change last week, using reef crystals instead of the Oceanic salt mix I had been using. I wonder if that played a part...I will check all levels tonight.

My two clowns want to eat and eat and eat.....I'm trying not to overfeed the tank. They are on the skinny side --- I never see my Banggai Cardinal eat, but if he was not eating, I think he would be long gone by now. I only see him eat when I feed the tank live brine shrimp.

The clean up crew, (especially the Nassarius snails) delight in re-arranging the tank every night. Knocking over the corals, moving things where they think they should be, etc. I've given in.

amaya
07/25/2007, 03:48 PM
sorry to hear about your fish,try feeding your cardinal at night

sunfish11
07/25/2007, 03:55 PM
My two clowns want to eat and eat and eat.....I'm trying not to overfeed the tank. They are on the skinny side --- I never see my Banggai Cardinal eat, but if he was not eating, I think he would be long gone by now. I only see him eat when I feed the tank live brine shrimp.

Sorry about your fish.

For the Cardinals bear in mind that it can take fish a very long time to starve to death, months in fact. Fatten up the clowns and get those cardinals eating. Feed them several times a day and only give as much as they will eat. Don't worry about overfeeding as much. Get the fish healthy. Feed a good variety of foods. I seriously doubt your water change had anything to do with it unless the fish was already quite stressed out. Was he eating really well?

Good luck!

Lisa

luxo1
07/25/2007, 04:04 PM
He was doing fine when he first came into the tank.......in the last week, he has been acting very strangely. I feed them frozen cyclops and pellets that my LFS recommended.

GrandeGixxer
07/25/2007, 04:28 PM
Try some Rods food. Sorry to hear about the fish. When I put the Rods food in, everything goes crazy including the crabs and shrimp.

luxo1
07/25/2007, 05:02 PM
I think I will try some of that --- his store is very far away from me....I bet I can find it locally --- or maybe buy it from him and have it shipped.

SharkysReef
07/25/2007, 05:09 PM
Luxo1 -

I am sure you can find Rods food around. This is a list from rods website but I know there are more stores then on this list that currently carry it now:

In the northern burbs Oceans Floor, Coral Paradise, Aquatic Reef, Sharky's Reef

Closer to the City Downtown pets, Coral Reef, Ocean Design,

Southern burbs Reefs edge Romioville' Go Fish Aquariums-Orland Park Down south Pet Supply center, Eddies Pet Shop, K-9 Cottage, I

Indiana Premium Aquatics, Frag Island
Ohio Salty Critter
Colorado Front Range Aquatics

moon jelly
07/26/2007, 11:41 PM
so sorry about your loss. rods food might be sold at old town aquariums

luxo1
07/27/2007, 07:35 AM
Thanks.....I know it's just a fish, but I think the first loss is the hardest, when you are new to the hobby! Alas, I never see my Banggai Cardinal eat at all --- he must be eating something at night....the clowns eat, and eat, and eat -- but not much of a weight gain.

sunfish11
07/27/2007, 11:26 AM
Alas, I never see my Banggai Cardinal eat at all --- he must be eating something at night..

This is worrysome. Most likely he isn't getting much if anything to eat. You are going to have to get him eating or he is next.

Lisa

Sara B
07/27/2007, 11:34 AM
Agreed, you need to get your Banggai to eat. I have 3 in my tank and I feed Rod's food. They all gather around the turkey baster and grab it immediately. Try a change in food as suggested.

There will be Rod's Food at Fragapoolza, so you can buy some there at the event!

luxo1
07/27/2007, 01:25 PM
Ok....<b>{ taking deep calming breaths ;-) }</b>

will try Rod's food.....he used to eat just fine, and then one day, he just **stopped**. If he is sick, I don't know what is wrong with him.......he stopped eating before I added the new fish ---- it's all very puzzling.

luxo1
07/27/2007, 02:57 PM
Grasping at straws here....

The Banggai moved into the tank with the 6-line wrasse, who I had to return to the LFS because the 6-line was so aggressive, and would not allow any other fish in the tank....Could the Banggai miss the 6 line's presence?<p>
OR
Could the Banggai be carrying eggs in his mouth? I read the male of the species does that....perhaps he mated before I got him....

Illuminati
07/27/2007, 03:00 PM
I have heard that wild caught cardinals are hard to get to eat. Tank raised is the way to go.

My personal knowledge of this fish is all of 1 day, added one, lights went off for the night by the next morning he was MIA, no body, nothing.

luxo1
07/27/2007, 07:54 PM
Colin: You going to fragapalooza?

Illuminati
07/27/2007, 08:57 PM
Yep, Sometime Saturday, we'll see when I actually get down there. hopefully around 11ish or sooner. I have some nice SPS frags on hold..... :)

You going?

luxo1
07/27/2007, 09:09 PM
Yes, either Saturday or Sunday.....tempted to go Sunday, because of the raffles --- it's quite the distance from where I live....did you ever see my full tank shots?

Illuminati
07/27/2007, 09:18 PM
Yeah, I'm about 45 minutes away so it's one day or the other and RacinRich won't be there Sunday so that settles that :)

I "think" I saw your FTS but I'm not sure, my mind is already on weekend time :)

luxo1
07/27/2007, 09:22 PM
I'll PM them to you......RacinRich lives somewhat close to me, one of the few benefits to living southside!

luxo1
07/29/2007, 06:14 PM
Sara B wrote:

Agreed, you need to get your Banggai to eat. I have 3 in my tank and I feed Rod's food. They all gather around the turkey baster and grab it immediately. Try a change in food as suggested.
I tried Rod's food today. I broke a piece off (it's frozen) and put it in the tank. I shut the filter off for a few minutes.....everyone seemed happy, even the Nassarius Snails came out of the burrows to scavenge during the day! <b>BUT</b> the Bengaii would take some food, and immediately spit it out. I really wonder if he is carrying babies in his mouth, or thinks it is mating season, or eating off the rocks at night......He looks healthy, he doesn't seem to be losing weight, (yet) and I don't think there is much more that I can do to make him eat. I have tried a wide variety of foods.......it's out of my hands now.

luxo1
07/31/2007, 09:39 PM
well, last night the Bengaii was swimming erratically. This morning, I see no signs of him. All water chemistry tests are fine.....

sunfish11
08/01/2007, 10:32 AM
Sorry to hear that luxo1. :(

luxo1
08/01/2007, 10:34 AM
Yep...he's gone. Nowhere to be seen......I guess the clean-up crew ate him up real fast. Oh well........just letting things settle for a bit.

yankeereefer
08/01/2007, 10:39 AM
Losing something from our tanks is something we all have to face at some time or another -

I did w/c's last night on my 3 nano's. I found that sometime between Sun and last night that one of my mantis' died. I had that little guy for just about a year now.

PS: it was not the one I got from jose

YR

luxo1
08/01/2007, 05:08 PM
I know....it does happen. I just didn't expect things to go from great, to bad in such a short period of time --- especially when everything checks out. I hope my two clowns stay well ---