PDA

View Full Version : Voracious jumbo squid invade California

radiolunatic
07/25/2007, 12:37 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070725/ap_on_sc/jumbo_squid_invasion

Anybody want to keep this? :)

delsol650
07/25/2007, 02:54 PM
THere well know in the sea of cortez. And some guy with an plastic armor suit jumped in with these guys before trying to bite him and drag him down too.... it was on discovery channel before.... humbolt squid.. or to others called devil squid.

sfsuphysics
07/25/2007, 05:25 PM
Might be preying on local fish populations, but also increasing the local supply of calimari!

Unarce
07/25/2007, 06:32 PM
I remember that show. I think a friend of his built the armor from a stormtrooper costume.

Every time I see that, I ask myself, death by Great White, or death by Humboldt Pack. Getting torn limb from limb doesn't seem all that fun:p

pbetito
07/25/2007, 07:12 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10413063#post10413063 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by sfsuphysics
Might be preying on local fish populations, but also increasing the local supply of calimari!

Atually, they taste like amonia smeels so they are not helping whatsoever. These things are beasts. I have caught hundreds in the past and they are some mean nasty sons of the beach :)

pbetito
07/25/2007, 07:13 PM
I should read what I write before I hit submit...
Actually they taste like amonia smells*

sfsuphysics
07/25/2007, 07:45 PM
Well I'm not a sea food lover, so it's all the same to me :D

And if you deep fry anything it'll make it taste better :D

fishnfst
07/25/2007, 08:09 PM
I've eaten them quite a few times when I was working on the fishing boats.. The trick is to clean and ice them right away.. If they sit in a bag for more than 15-20 minutes when its warm they spoil.. You have to remove the outer skin and then filet off a layer of flesh from the inside.. The center meat is quite good.. IF you don't remove both layers of skin you get a very strong lemony sour taste.. They also make excellent tuna bait :)

northbay-reefer
07/25/2007, 08:31 PM
Yummmm well you guys are going to have to help out and start developing a taste for these squids ... I'll do my part and order more calamari :D :D

Paradox009
07/25/2007, 09:17 PM
Does anyone here actively fish them? If so, would you be willing to give me one or sell me one? I make scientific displays/sculptures out of squids and other cephs and would LOVE to have a humboldt. Heres some that ive made.

http://www.pickledmonsters.com/

fishnfst
07/25/2007, 09:42 PM
Some of the boats out of emeryville make regular trips when the weather is good.. Just google emeryville sportfishing and give them a call.. I think Shim on the new salmon queen makes pretty regular trips at certain times of the year.. When they getem its really good.. YOu might convince someone to save one for you.. If not I'll see what I can do.. If the guys out of halfmoon bay start to make trips I'll keep you in mind as someone who wants one :)

Elite
07/26/2007, 01:12 AM
I want one of those :) ..

BTW...
Roy,
Do you still want your bulbs??

radiolunatic
07/26/2007, 02:12 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10416131#post10416131 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Elite
I want one of those :) ..

BTW...
Roy,
Do you still want your bulbs??

Yes, of course. Problem is I am still looking and waiting someone to help me set up the new tank. Hopefully soon. Can you hold on it a bit more?

GreshamH
07/26/2007, 11:14 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10414230#post10414230 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by fishnfst
I've eaten them quite a few times when I was working on the fishing boats.. The trick is to clean and ice them right away.. If they sit in a bag for more than 15-20 minutes when its warm they spoil.. You have to remove the outer skin and then filet off a layer of flesh from the inside.. The center meat is quite good.. IF you don't remove both layers of skin you get a very strong lemony sour taste.. They also make excellent tuna bait :)

I LOVE THEM. If you think they taste bad, you prepared them wrong :D

Removing the skin is crucial IMO. Some soak the meat in milk, but I find no need.

Yearly event at that. I expect another thread next year :D

delsol650
07/26/2007, 11:36 AM
Milk takes away the bad smell and amonia like taste right? I think dipping in milk is used in other gamey animals right?

pbetito
07/26/2007, 11:45 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10418072#post10418072 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by GreshamH
I LOVE THEM. If you think they taste bad, you prepared them wrong :D

Removing the skin is crucial IMO. Some soak the meat in milk, but I find no need.

Yearly event at that. I expect another thread next year :D

I worked on the noats for years as well and if I have to fillet them and skin them in the first 20 minutes and such....its not worth it... There are other types of giant squid which are delicious but the humboldt squid IMO are ewwwwyy. I have heard that if you bleed and smoke mackerel (pacific not spanish) and barracuda they are ok to eat to but with all the stuff that tastes good as it is I pass on the....its only edible if you....variety. When my old customers who would beg me to take the live bait home to eat it say they don't want it, even for free...that is a good indicator. Does make good tuna and shark bait though..

BTW Gresham....We all know you'll eat anything :lol:

GreshamH
07/26/2007, 11:54 AM
Oh no, there's a lot I won't eat. In fact many items recently posted on this forum I would not eat.

I've lived most my life 2 blocks from the SC harbor. I started working on the boats at a very early age and still have many friends in the biz :D I've been eating these guys since I was hmmmm.... 10? I've had bad ones that people prepared who had no clue of the animal or what is needed. I've had insanely good ones. One of the restaurants on the SC wharf that I used to work at served a to die for Humbolt squid sandwich. When in season you know where I can be found on tuesdays :lol:

You can bleed mackeral all you want and I still won't eat it :D Barracuda if prepared right, and from the right place, tastes great. Most suck though.

BTW, the sea gulls won't shut up this monring, a curse of living so close to the harbor :(

Paradox009
07/26/2007, 11:55 AM
fishnfst - Thanks for the advise! Ill try calling emeryville sportfishing and see if I can get one there!

GreshamH
07/26/2007, 12:10 PM
You may want to talk over prep with them as they get handled quite roughly on the boat. If I where you, I would do the trip myself and bring the tools with to do it on the boat :D

I can check if any of my friends are going out anytime soon. If so I will PM you for instructions on best prepping the animal.

fishnfst
07/26/2007, 11:58 PM
Hahahah.. I'm glad someone else likes to eat them as well.. One ofm y good friends was a deckhand on one of the LR boats out of San Diego and we'd stay up all nigth catching them for bait.. The captain wuold get mad cuz I'd always keep 4-5 of them and prep them to eat the next day.. He'd say thats 4 more rotations on teh kite your eating :) They are definitely Tuna Candy.. The bigger the better !!!

Thales
07/27/2007, 12:22 AM
Daniel, if you get on the boat, let me know if I can come with!

Paradox009
07/27/2007, 11:18 AM
Hey Rich!.. I just looked at Emeryville Sportfishings site and they show thier Daily charter schedule to have "Giant Squid" fishing heh during January - March.

http://www.emeryvillesportfishing.com/rates.html

Looks like its Salmon Season now. Havent had a chance to contact them for more details, but If they arent going squid fishing soon, we should definetely go in January!

Thing is...I dont know a thing about fishing!! Unless dangling a toy on a string over my balcony to our dog counts!

Thales
07/27/2007, 11:19 AM
That counts! I am sure they would help us!

GreshamH
07/27/2007, 03:52 PM
You've got the basics down then :D