PDA

View Full Version : help! bug id please

glee
07/24/2007, 08:35 PM
hello, i posted this in the inverts page, but thought it would be a good idea to ask here as well since there are more local experts...i have a few of these bugs from a colony of zoanthids i picked up today. reef safe? thanks in advance! g

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1169986

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/155888buggy1.JPG

Elite
07/24/2007, 08:45 PM
Zoa nudi.. Kill them all

glee
07/24/2007, 08:47 PM
oh crap, i just saw it on zoaid. what methods to use?

Elite
07/24/2007, 08:53 PM
FW Dip.. look for eggs.. QT :)
These are not that bad..

Nuuze
07/25/2007, 12:05 AM
When you mention FW dip, how long do you dip for in case I ever need to? I been dipping incoming Zoo's with Seachem Reef Dip, is that a just as good procedure?

Mr. Ugly
07/25/2007, 12:21 AM
Fresh water dip is more stressful than Seachem and the like. If you use it, you can dip for about 5 minutes. Don't use it on protopalys, like Nuclear Green or Purple Death unless you want to melt them :)

I use Povidone-Iodine. I used to use tincture of iodine, but the P-I is less harsh on the corals.

glee
07/25/2007, 12:31 AM
i warmed some ro/di water to about 80 degrees with 10 droplets of lugols and dipped the colonies for about 15 minutes. a bunch of stuff died off - copepods, clams, and more than a dozen nudis. i used a razor blade to hunt down the egg swirls (no less than 2 dozen of these) attached to the zoas. i hope i got them all.

they are starting to open again and i'll be monitoring throughout the night. i wonder how long it will take for eggs to hatch? will they hatch? i get snail eggs on my tank walls, but they never mature...

thanks to everyone that helped! i'm going to lose sleep tonight. best, g

Mr. Ugly
07/25/2007, 09:06 AM
It would be good if you can quarantine the zoas for about 2-3 weeks and check every few days for new nudibranchs. Redip as necessary.

A lot of people have had good results with yellow coris wrasse as a zoa nudi hunter.

Be careful if you have a lot of zoa rocks to dip, and you want to put them back in your main tank. You can kill off enough bacteria and stuff inside the rocks to cause a mini-cycle or even crash your tank.

glee
07/25/2007, 03:34 PM
unfortunately, i do not have a quarantine tank large enough to accommodate the colonies, but i will check multiple times on a daily basis.

i spoke with a LFS about the yellow coris wrasse and was told that they do not do well in captivity. any thoughts on this?

i'll be sure not to overdo the freshwater dips.

thanks very much for your valued help and input.

best, g

delsol650
07/25/2007, 04:25 PM
Other wrasses (reef safe ) should be also viable... fairy wrasses, 6line's ( some are reef friendly ), flashers etc..... leopards too. I've also heard of some green grass type wrasse as well.