PDA

View Full Version : What do you thnk?

TikiDan
07/23/2007, 10:48 PM
Do you guys think a store would make money if they were to sell High end corals in the San Rafael area?

TikiDan
07/24/2007, 05:43 PM
Nobody?

CitS
07/24/2007, 05:50 PM
Too far for me.... :(

Reefer_Addickt
07/24/2007, 06:13 PM
I think it might be hard for any fish store to make money. When you look at the trend there are alot closing or in the process of being sold.

sfsuphysics
07/24/2007, 06:19 PM
IMO, and talking with actual owners of LFS, they make their livelihood from non-exotic stuff, cheap every day stuff, dry goods (that don't die and don't require electricity to keep alive), those sorts of things.

There might be a few exceptions to the rule, but it would be a hard time running a high-end coral only store.

At this point, you might as well run the business out of your garage (save renting a place), do online sales (open yourself to the rest of the world), and allow locals to pick up or something.

TikiDan
07/24/2007, 06:57 PM
:)

TikiDan
07/24/2007, 06:58 PM
well, Here is the deal. Dan at PGS in San Rafael and I were talking, and since he sells most of his goods online, I could set up a small frag tank in his shop/warehouse and sell some higher end corals to compliment his great lights, And possibly to get some more foot traffic. I am putting together the details but should hopefully have something up and running in the next few months :)

Apon
07/24/2007, 08:46 PM
Depends if they are alot of reef people in San Raf...I live in SF and go to east bay for stuff, but nothing near Marin. Don't know of anyone in Marin either.

TikiDan
07/24/2007, 08:55 PM
thats the thing, there are no stores in the northbay unless you go to Novato

jkreefer
07/24/2007, 09:08 PM
What Reef stores are in Navato?

coralfarmer
07/24/2007, 09:36 PM
Many have tried and failed in San Rafael and in other parts of Marin. It all comes down to having enough capital to make it for the first three years, or another income besides the store. If you come up with a budget that you think you will need to open a store take that number and at least double it and just maybe you will have enough to open the doors. Take it from me the coral business can be cut throat.
But San Rafael would be a great location since there is nothing in Marin. sfsuphysics is right the bread and butter stuff is what sells.

ZOAKEEPER
07/24/2007, 11:02 PM
high end means high prices. And generally only an experianced reefer will put out the money for something exotic. Otherwise it sits in a tank and people look at it and wish. Keep it down to one or two tanks and you'll probably have fun at it.