PDA

View Full Version : Veron's "Corals of the World"

Ninong
12/23/2000, 08:52 PM
Remember the thread about Veron's new "Corals of the World" a while back where we discussed prices and availability, etc. Well, I'm glad I got mine direct cheaper than their regular price of $175.00 (much cheaper) because NOW I came across the complete set in stock at an online vendor for only $119.99 -- http://www.reeffanatic.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=book&item=BK_CW&type=store

I also noticed some other online vendors selling it for $149.99.

Just though some of you might want to know. Here's the direct link to the publisher's site in case you want info on the set: http://www.aims.gov.au/pages/coralsworld/cotw-04.html

Ninong

RWD
12/23/2000, 09:22 PM
Hey thanks!! After all the good reviews I wanted to order a set. I'm glad I waited. Just ordered mine. Bob

Carlos
12/23/2000, 10:53 PM
Thank you for the link!

I was going to ordere it all the way from AUS but this is much better!

Very Cool!

Nemo
12/23/2000, 11:33 PM
If you order online direct from AIMS you only pay $80 US currency. If you check the box that says you are a student you are only charged $145 Aus which converts to $80 US. If you order online they don't ask for any proof that you are a student. I just happen to be one though. How is that cheaper? They even fed expressed it to my door!

Nemo

Brittlestar
12/24/2000, 04:34 AM
Nemo,
When did you order & when did you receive your set?
I ordered on 12/5 & haven't got mine yet. I emailed this week & was told that mine were mailed on Thursday. I was told that the recent orders were somewhat delayed. They didn't say anything about Federal Express.

Did you do anything special to get Fed Express?
Thanks,
Brittlestar

PS For anyone interested, the link to the order page is:

http://www.aims.gov.au/pages/coralsworld/cotw-04.html

I was instructed to order as a student to get the year-2000-only introductory price of $95 US. (Order page says $145 Australian, same as $95 US.) The price includes shipping. You must order by 12/31/00 to get the introductory price. Apparently, delivery can take 3 weeks or so (I'm hoping not more).

therman
12/24/2000, 05:07 AM
i mailed my order in on 10/30 and still havent gotten the books yet :( :(

Nemo
12/24/2000, 08:53 AM
I ordered mine on the 3rd of November and they mailed it out on the 28th of November. I recieved the set in the 1st week of December. I did not request any special delivery, they just sent the books by Fed ex .

Nemo

Ninong
12/24/2000, 10:43 AM
OK, you just answered a question that has come up on another board. Looks like AIMS keeps changing their pricing structure. Originally you could only order by mail if you wanted to get the student price and you had to send them copies of a student ID card.

Their regular price used to be US$150 and now it looks like their regular price will be US$175 AFTER Dec. 31, 2000. I know a few people who actually paid the full US$150 back in May and June.

Thanks again.

Ninong

Brad Ward
12/24/2000, 10:59 AM
I ordered mine over the internet on 12/6 and haven't gotten mine yet either. I was charged for it already, and hopefully will get it soon.

Brad

sculpin
12/24/2000, 02:17 PM
Mine took about a month to arrive. They're under my tree at the moment.

marinelife
12/24/2000, 05:01 PM
My mom ordered them for me in november and they have not gotten here yet, She has been bill and has gotten a letter in the mail. She e-mailed them and was told the book will be here soon. Maybe next week. She order November 28 I think..

sculpin
12/24/2000, 10:17 PM
Having just unwrapped these, all I can say is, %*&@ *&#$, these books are amazing!(South Park explitive deleted) Just on weight alone you get your money's worth. I've already id'ed something in my tank in less than 20 minutes (Brad, that Larry Jackson Montipora, green with pink tips, is probably Montipora porites).

Brad Ward
12/25/2000, 11:37 AM
sculpin,

LOL! I had it positively ID'd as a M. spongodes pg. 103 #3 from his first book. ;) I was a little bad this year. That's probably why my copy hasn't arrived yet:)

Merry XMAS!

Brad

Reef Engineer
12/25/2000, 01:26 PM
Well, I'm ticked! :mad: I ordered mine back in August - noticed that the check I sent would not be honored (out of country check) so I re-ordered with a credit card the end of October and I have YET to be charged for the set! I have an order number given to me by Laura but the credit card has yet to be charged!

On the bright side, a buddy of mine ordered two sets and he gave me about three weeks ago so I've been able to look them over for the past three weeks :D I guess I should say that my friend's copy hasn't come in :D

Fantastic books!

Randy

gas4544
12/25/2000, 10:55 PM
Thanks for the info. Gonna order mine tomorrow. Wooohooo!

SoundsFishy
12/26/2000, 02:13 PM
Thanks for the reminder to order this set before the end of the year. I would have been alittle upset if I'd have to pay full price.
question to all. How long did it take for them to take the money from your accounts??
Nemo I sent you an e-mail before I read your entire post. You answered the question there.
Thanks all.
Dan.

JSM
12/26/2000, 02:58 PM
How much did they tell you shipping was? Are you all paying close to 100 bucks to have it shipped? They told me my options were US Air mail 87.79 or 287.50 for UPS or FedEx! Is that what everyone is paying?

Janna

JSM
12/26/2000, 03:01 PM
I think they must think I'm from somewhere that I'm not. I'm calling them.

JSM
12/26/2000, 03:09 PM
Ok, shipping is only 12.98, they thought it was going to Albania. Now that would make sense to have such a high shipping amount.

Martyn
12/26/2000, 04:53 PM
Yes great I got mine that I orderd in March 2000 a week ago or so.
Nice Books still yet too have a good read of them :)
They weigh a ton :D
Later
Martyn.
PS
Hope all had a great time Christmas day no doubt put on a few pounds Wish u all a Happy New Year.

Carlos
12/26/2000, 07:19 PM
Hey, I ordered my book set from Reeffanatics.com on 12/24 and they have already shipped the books to me via UPS. I even got the tracking code.

BTW, I was only charged $119.00 for the set!

This is very COOOOOOOOL!

Carlos

MrSandman
12/26/2000, 07:32 PM
Just ordered me a set from Aquatic Tech http://www.aquatictech.com . Got it for 119.00 and they told me they would ship it out tomorrow. I can't wait to get my hands on them. SPS world!!! here i come!!! :D

Carlos
01/02/2001, 12:39 PM
Just got my books today at the office. They are AMAZING!

The weight of the box is incredible and the content is amazing. I have not been able to look really look at them but just by browsing one of the books, man, they are GREAT!

Also, they came in this really cool book case. I am very happy with them!

Carlos

Brittlestar
01/02/2001, 01:31 PM
Hi, all,
Just got mine this morning (1/2/01) at 8:15 AM... the morning of my first day back at work in 11 days (no time to read them now...). Oh, well, much to look forward to.

I glanced at volume 1 & was more than impressed. Too soon to tell but looks like much more info & picures than the classic Veron book (which I have).
Brittlestar

marinelife
01/02/2001, 01:59 PM
I got my books back on Dec 27 and I also agree that they are the best. I am very impressed with them. I have started to read them and it has been very interesting reading

bigben
01/02/2001, 09:43 PM
Hehe! I have a piece of that M. porites also. Thanks for the ID! Larry had told me it was M. digitata.. :D

Ben

Mark
01/02/2001, 10:18 PM
Wow!

These books rule. I just received mine this evening. I think I've finally figured out what kind of Acroporas I have.:) They even have pics of A. solitaryensis. I can't wait for my frag to grow up.

SPSMan
01/03/2001, 05:38 AM
One cool thing for those who ordered the books at the end of the year, the exchange rate for Australian currency was not so hot and the $145 Australian deal worked out to 72 dollars US. That is what my card was billed about 2 weeks ago. No books yet, but 72 bucks is awesome. Several ppl that frequent #reefs also got the books for 72 bucks. Thank goodness I kept that college ID after I graduated a year ago!