PDA

View Full Version : Anyone attend(ed) MTSU?

Fishtails
07/22/2007, 04:47 PM
Ok, well I am preparing for my freshman year of college. I'll be attending MTSU, respectively. I would just like to ask any current/alumni a few questions if you all don't mind. I'm sure I'll find out more at orientation next week. My first question, and probably what I'm concerned of most, is are fish tanks allowed? I have a small 20G reef that I just set up a month ago, and I'd hope to take it with me. Second, is driving allowed your first year? I've heard different answers, but not completely sure. If so, what is your recommendations on driving. I've heard mostly cons of driving. Anything else I should know, please let me know. I am very excited, yet 'concerned' at the same time, but your help should cheer me up, atleast I hope so. :D

Thanks,
Alex L.

gsusfreak
07/22/2007, 05:24 PM
i dont know about the fist tanks...since ive was never in a dorm.....but driving is allowed....we're not one of those schools that has limited parking spaces......sure you might hate how far your parking spot is, but we HAVE them...lol

im not sure what you mean by driving recommendations, but i usually just park where its available and ride the shuttle bus...i figure our tuition pays for it so why not ride it

NeveSSL
07/22/2007, 05:57 PM
Here ya go, FWIW: http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=1049911

:)

I'm not sure about the fish tanks, either. I never got a dorm because an apartment was only a little bit more a month (campus housing is expensive... I think an apartment was only $50 more a month and gave me my own bathroom and bed room and a shared kitchen/laundry). :)

I think driving is allowed your first year, but I'm not positive. I transferred in as a Jr. You'll have to check on that and fish tanks at orientation.

Don't forget... the dorms are tiny little rooms. It may be up to your roommate as well...

Not sure what kind of recommendations you're looking for, but driving to me is almost a must. Thats just because I have too many interests to be stuck somewhere. :) Your parking permit is included with tuition, though, which is good because its like an extra $250-$300 at UTK (maybe fishdoc can tell us ;) ). At least it was a couple of years ago. Personally, I can't think of any cons driving... but again I have a lot of interests and would be absolutely miserable not being able to drive places.

John is right about raider xpress. Use it! Parking is a bit of a pain at MTSU because so many students do drive. So not living on campus means you'll need to allow for extra time.

As far as other things, bring a bike if you can. It makes campus travel much easier, IMO. Also, you should join MTRC! :) If you're not driving, I don't mind at all to pick you up to go to meetings and wouldn't mind having someone to go to different fish stores with me as well every once in a while. :) I live like 3 minutes from campus and I work in the library.

MTSU is an awesome school. What are you majoring in?

You're about to have the time of your life! Just get ready to feel like a freshman in high school all over again... lol. I did, anyway. I didn't know where much was and it was all new, but Murfreesboro is great and so is MTSU. Not to mention MTRC! :D

Brandon

fishdoc11
07/22/2007, 06:44 PM
Just get to school before 7:45 and you won't have a problem finding a close parking spot;)

....and yes that's a joke but yes I did:rolleyes:

I can't remember how much parking is here but I do remember hearing that I had to pay for it and thinking What!.....then they said how much it would be and I did a double take:lol:

MTSU is a great school with lots of great things to take advantage of.

Chris

NeveSSL
07/22/2007, 07:15 PM
Definitely a lot of things to take advantage of... I'm already signed up for the scuba class this fall... I can't wait!

Brandon

Fishtails
07/22/2007, 07:39 PM
Some great input fellows. I appreciate it greatly. I am getting more accustomed and feel I will adjust nicely. I am actually looking for an apartment rather than a dorm room, just for the fact of comfort level, privacy, etc. I guess I will find out a little more as the week progresses. BTW, I am on about 3/4 scholarship, so most the road is paved for me, plus the addition of HOPE scholarship and other things, I should be fine.

fishdoc11
07/22/2007, 07:57 PM
What's your major or have you declared?

Fishtails
07/22/2007, 08:07 PM
I haven't decided. I'm pretty interested the the Aerospace program at MTSU though.

NeveSSL
07/22/2007, 09:05 PM
Aerospace at MTSU is awesome, as is RIM.

You may want to get an apartment ASAP if you've not already. It can be tricky to get one, although there are new ones just about every year. Check around.

Are you transferring to the Petsmart up here?

Brandon

Fishtails
07/22/2007, 09:40 PM
My manager down here was telling me about the Petsmart up there. More than likely, if I drive, I'll end up transferring. How far is it from the campus?

NeveSSL
07/22/2007, 10:45 PM
Not far. If traffic is bad, maybe 15 to 20 minutes at the most. Usually its probably only 10. And I live on the opposite side of campus from it. :)

Brandon

luckyarbuc
07/23/2007, 01:13 AM
Another option for getting around campus is a bike, it never matters how far away you park if you have one, I would have been lost without mine when I was there. Ditto on what everybody says about MTSU I loved it and went there knowing absolutely nobody Murfreesboro is a great town.

crumbletop
07/23/2007, 07:15 AM
I didn't go to MTSU so I don't know how the dorms are, but my opinion on dorms is that it is great to live on campus as a freshman. Sure it's probably noisy. That's where I learned to sleep with a pillow over my head :). But, it is super easy to meet people and hang out or just drop by. You also get a feel for where to get an apartment and meet some folks who would be good roommates. You can then move into an apartment for future years. Being on campus may be one less thing to worry about as you adjust. On the other hand, dorm life at MTSU may be the pits. I have no clue. Something to consider, though.

RUPE
07/24/2007, 08:09 AM
Again, I did't live on campus, so I can't answer the fish tank question, but driving was definently allowed. It was some time ago when I was there, so that could have changed.
They do have a realy good aerospace program. I wonder is Mr. Paton & Philipps are still there?

KafudaFish
07/25/2007, 04:07 PM
Fall and Spring semester at UTK $155 maybe $170 and then you have to pay for Summer. Some people don't buy parking decals and just pay the $12 per ticket.
On the Ag campus there was never a ticket cop but after they found out main campus students were parking for free and taking the shuttle over they made sure to get their money. Also there are metered spaces regardless of a permit.
Yeah UT sucks on parking. I sure am glad they will increase tutition costs only ~10% this year.

Fishtails
07/25/2007, 09:28 PM
Well, I am almost complete as far as everything goes. Now just prepping for CUSTOMS on the 30-31st of July. I also have to apply for a dorm/apt. room, even though I'm somewhat late. As far as an apt./dorm, which would be better? I would prefer a apt., just for the fact of more privacy, but a dorm I've heard it's much easier to meet people and whatnot, BUT, the actual costs with staying at an apt., Womack Lane for example, is actually the cheapest route, but is it pretty comfortable there?

And like I've said before, I appreciate everyone's input/help.

gsusfreak
07/25/2007, 11:28 PM
I'd take the Womack Lane route...for the reason that its cheaper (i never knew that it was)....dont expect it to be peace and quite though...as with every apartment filled with college students.

and since womack lane is on campus...you meet people much like you would in a dorm....its dorm-life meets apartment style living....you get the idea

NeveSSL
07/26/2007, 02:41 AM
Good luck getting into Womack Lane. They give priority to families and (I think) Jrs and Srs. I know its a little tricky to get into them.

Go for an apartment. You may meet a few more people in the dorms and they are definitely a somewhat unique experience, but you'll be meeting a TON of people and having a great time anyway.

At the same time, you've probably got at least 4 years here. You could try the dorms for a year, if you like it stay, if not, try an apartment. :)

Personally, I just really did not want to deal with the noise of the dorms. There are times set aside that everyone can be as loud as they want, which is cool, except I like to have more control of my living environment. Just my opinion, though. Plus now I'm married, but none the less I got an apartment before I was married too. :)

Brandon

NeveSSL
08/26/2007, 01:45 AM
Did you make it, Alex? :)

Brandon

Fishtails
08/26/2007, 08:28 AM
Posting this reply from my dorm Brandon. So far my first two days have been awesome. I've seen a few friends from Chattanooga and luckily I've got a couple really close friends who run me around(yeah, bringing my car didn't work out this semester) and I'm staying in Cummings. I must say though now that since it's Sunday, I must get prepared for my 1st days of classes. I appreciate you checking up on my, thanks.

KeepOnReefin
08/26/2007, 11:46 AM
Welcome to Murfreesboro :) Crumbletop said it well. The dorms was a great choice for your first semester. You will find out, even though it will be stressful at times (but what place is not) that you made the right choice. You are going to love MTSU! Good offerings and take advantage of the education it has to offer. You will meet lots of good people :).... as Cummings is a really fun dorm.

I have noticed that it seems to be a backpack college. I believe most people that board in the dorms seem to leave for the weekends. It was always quiet in my hall on the weekends.

I live in a house that is walking distance to campus. I have been in the boro for a good amount of time now. If you ever need to get out, you are welcome. If you need a ride or have any questions about this somewhat chaotic city :) I offer you my services. Peace and happiness to you and welcome!

Bob
615 838 1342

NeveSSL
08/26/2007, 01:54 PM
Hey Bob... do you live on East Main beside Gentleman Jims? There is a house there with a tank and every time I drive by I wonder if its someone on these boards. Looks like a 75 or bigger. Just asking! :)

Good to hear you're in and all is well, Alex! If you need a ride to the MTRC meetings or whatnot, feel free to PM or call me. I also work on campus, so if you just want to talk reefs, feel free to drop by! I work in the Adaptive Technology Center. We cater to students with disabilities, but its an open lab. :) Its on the first floor of the library in the back left-hand corner, kinda tucked away. I'll be there Mon. thru Thurs. 6PM to 11PM.

As I've said before, MTSU is an awesome school. I've really, really enjoyed myself here and recommend it to everyone I know who is looking for a college. :)

Brandon