PDA

View Full Version : MTRC Election Proposal

crumbletop
07/22/2007, 12:22 PM
Hello all,

Even though it doesn't seem so, November isn't too far away and there is something I would like for the club to consider regarding our officer elections.

The club bylaws state that the club has to hold elections every November -- I think mainly because November is typically election time for public office. For the past 3 years there really haven't been any elections. The first election we've had in years was held this March, and I actually think that date works better than November for our club. Here's why:

I've been in the midst of working with the MTRC Frag Swap Committee on the January Swap. This has traditionally been held around Jan 20 or so. This year it will be the 4th Annual MTRC Swap and will be on January 19. As many of you know, the swap takes a lot of work and planning to pull off. This year we have gotten off to an early start reserving the location, recruiting sponsors, etc. If we hold elections in March, then the elected officers can work through the whole year, including the Swap, which gives any newly elected folks time to settle in. If we hold elections in November, then whomever is elected would have just over a month to do stuff for the Swap, and if the officers changed there wouldn't be continuity from any early planning. So I think having the elections in March creates a better scenario, and makes things less bumpy by ensuring continuity through the planning and execution of the Swap.

We discussed this at a board meeting, and can't think of any negatives for making the change. So the proposal to the club membership is to see what you all think about changing our bylaws/constitution to hold officer elections every March. The current officers took office in March, and so 2008 would be the 1-year mark for us. Any change ultimately requires a majority vote of the membership, but before trying to arrange that I'd like to hear some feedback :)

ocd_mariner
07/22/2007, 01:05 PM
I think its a great idea. The swap is a huge job (of which we are all very appreciative!). It makes sense to hold the elections afterward.

gflat65
07/22/2007, 01:51 PM
Makes sense to me.

NeveSSL
07/22/2007, 01:55 PM
Makes sense to me, too.

Brandon

SRT80
07/22/2007, 02:06 PM
I agree....

Steve

dishray
07/22/2007, 03:32 PM
I vote yes

fallinapart
07/22/2007, 03:38 PM
Very Good Idea!

HowardCath
07/22/2007, 04:26 PM
March seems fine. Some folks make be gone for spring break during the mid-month, if that makes any difference. Thank you to our willing and able officials!

Fanof49ASU
07/22/2007, 05:13 PM
Sounds good.

luckyfish
07/23/2007, 05:00 PM
Sounds good to me.

SRT80
07/23/2007, 06:25 PM
or start holding the elections in Feb. givin' the officers 10 months to plan for next swap (march-december)

Steve

crumbletop
07/23/2007, 06:45 PM
Good point. I figured people could "run for office" in February, and then we could all vote in early March.

crumbletop
07/31/2007, 06:42 AM
It looks like we'll have a bunch of the membership at the Emerald Bay meeting this Saturday. It also looks like there is good support for making the change. I will plan on having a vote at the meeting to make the switch to March elections.

The current wording:
Section 2 Elections shall take place in the month of November of the election year. The newly elected officers shall assume office on January 1st of the next year. Nominations for officers shall take place in the month of October of the election year. At this meeting the President or Chairperson will ascertain from the Secretary and Treasurer that all those nominated are qualified to run for office in accordance with the bylaws of this organization.

The new wording:
Section 2 Elections shall take place in the month of March of the election year. The newly elected officers shall assume office immediately following the results of the election. Nominations for officers shall take place in the month of February of the election year. The President will ascertain from the Secretary and Treasurer that all those nominated are qualified to run for office in accordance with the bylaws of this organization.

crumbletop
08/06/2007, 05:23 PM
Thanks to all who voted. We had at least 36 members present at the meeting, and all of the board of directors were present. 27 members voted and the motion passed to change the time for officer elections to March. The club constitution has been updated to reflect the change :)

NeveSSL
08/06/2007, 05:34 PM
Out of curiosity, how many were required to pass? Is it only of those who show up, or is it of total members?

Brandon

gflat65
08/06/2007, 05:43 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10493942#post10493942 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by crumbletop
and all of the board of directors were present

It'd been a while since that could be said:D.

crumbletop
08/06/2007, 06:32 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10494005#post10494005 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by NeveSSL
Out of curiosity, how many were required to pass? Is it only of those who show up, or is it of total members?

Brandon

The bylaws say a quorum of the board of directors must be present, and a majority vote of all members present is required to pass the measure. We had a tremendous turnout of the membership for the meeting. I just looked through the box and missed a couple of votes. The final vote tally was 29 votes for, and 1 vote against.

NeveSSL
08/06/2007, 08:10 PM
Gotcha. Thanks!

Brandon

eyebedam
08/08/2007, 06:02 PM
Who was the 1 against. Time to sell somebody out.

crumbletop
08/08/2007, 06:21 PM
I suspect it was a hanging chad ;)