PDA

View Full Version : cal+alk driving me nuts!!

jsp357
09/25/2002, 09:32 PM
First I was dosing with liquid calcium for about two months without buffer (big mistake) cal was 600 alk was 2.0.When I figured out what I was doing wrong I brought ALK up to 3.5meg/l
and I started to dose with bi-onic but could not get cal up over 300.So for the last week I have been dripping kalk ,2tsb a gallon of r/o- 1 gallon a day .Now my alk is 3.0meg/l and my calcium is 200?? I checked it 3 TIMES.I really need to get this under control.
THANKS ahead of time,JSP
55gallon-3LPS-some softies-2 clams.

Randy Holmes-Farley
09/26/2002, 07:43 AM
I've seen enough of these posts in the past few months, that my article in progress is on solving calcium problems. So don't feel alone.:)

Right now the calcium is 200 ppm and the alkalinity is 3.0 meq/L?

OK, here's what I recommend:

1. Pick either the limewater or B-ionic, or both, and use them exclusively for calcium and alkalinity supplementation going forward. You should never have such imbalance problems if you do.

2. You need to add more unbalanced calcium to correct the current problem and calcium chloride is a good way to go (like the liquid calcium or turbo calcium). Use Andy's calculator to determine how much (it will be LARGE), and perhaps split it over 2 days. Measure after the first one, and correct the second addition if things aren't working out quite as expected. If after the second things stilla ren't quite right, correct again, but the corrections should be getting much smaller. If not, come back and we'll discuss it.

Good luck!

http://www.andy-hipkiss.co.uk/cacalc.htm