PDA

View Full Version : power outage precautions

DMBillies
07/18/2007, 01:52 PM
I got talking with Chris at the meeting he hosted about his air pump that kicks on when the power goes off. I realize that at this point in my reef keeping career I'm definitely past pushing my luck since I don't have any kind of emergency support system. Also, suspiciously, our power has been going off in the middle of the day a few times over the past week or so. I immediately start praying that it's going to come back on. A few episodes of this has knocked it into my head that bad things can so easily happen.

Anyway, the air pump that comes on when it detects an outage is a good one and sounds relatively cheap. What else are people using? Obviously, a generator is optimal, but a lot of people can't afford the cost or the space to store one. Just collecting ideas and I thought I'd post it since this is the kind of thing that tends to get ignored until you need it (i.e., when it's too late).

Thanks

ocd_mariner
07/18/2007, 02:48 PM
Ive got an air pump as well, its pretty small, so I dont know how much use it would really be.

However, I work at home (so chances are I would be here when the power goes out, especially for an extended period), and my truck has an ac plug, so if things ever got bad, I would snake an extension cord out to the driveway :p

Siffy
07/18/2007, 04:00 PM
My I recommend:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1819058
For return pump and battery powered air pump like this one:
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=8120

I pointed out the really expensive one because it's AC as well, and I'm still not sure if it's exactly what most people would want. Most would want it to not run when the power is on due to bubble issues.

Now the UPS I would use just for a low watt return pump if you hopefully have one or low watt powerheads like tunze or seio. For some reason this model is currently cheaper ($.02) than a 300VA model on the same website, so it's a good deal for someone looking for one now.

What the small UPS are best at is not keeping the tank running for an extended time but keeping the tank from experiencing power flickers that typically trip GFCIs and make your MHs have to cool off before trying to hard restart themselves.

The large inverter idea is a good one too if you expect a really long outage.

gflat65
07/18/2007, 05:29 PM
This is only a stop gap that works when I'm home, but I have a marine battery and a power inverter for hooking up ph's, etc.

NeveSSL
07/18/2007, 05:35 PM
I haven't talked my wife into letting me get one yet, and its only if you're at home (so I think it would make a good supplement to a UPS), but Northern Tool and Supply (In Murfreesboro... not sure where else they are in Middle TN) has a small generator for $150... sometimes you can catch them on sale for $129. :)

I think I'm going to get a UPS to hook up to my Koralias when I get them.

Brandon

KAiNE
07/18/2007, 09:16 PM
I've got 5 or 6 of the Dcell air pumps. I also have a UPS that I use for my seios only. I tried it on my main pump but the different wave form made the motor scream and me nervous.

I want a generator myself.

fishdoc11
07/18/2007, 09:24 PM
Here is the air pump I use:
http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/group/10437/product.web

I have a couple on the 120 and they can easily keep things going for 5 or 6 hours until I can get home/wake up and start my generator. I actually had them run all night on the 90 a couple of times with no problems. This is assuming of course it's not 20 or 100 outside:)

Chris

DMBillies
07/18/2007, 11:47 PM
I actually forgot that I've already got an inverter for my car, which I could easily use. The air pumps seem like a must in the event that I'm not actually home when it happens (give me a couple hours leeway). I'd thought about a UPS as a good solution too. It just kills me to spend a bunch of money on things that are just going to sit and do nothing 99% of the time. Of course, they immediately pay for themselves when you need them... I think I'll definitely buy a few of the air pumps and then work up to the UPS or a generator.

Anyone doing something else?

aquaman67
07/19/2007, 02:27 AM
Here's a good article written by Richard Durso (inventor of the Durso standpipe) about disaster planning. It's worth a read.

http://advancedaquarist.com/issues/aug2002/feature.htm

Here's the same pump $2 cheaper.

http://www.petsolutions.com/Silent-Air-B11-Battery-Back-up-Pump+I30129045+C10.aspx

Some other things about those pumps. I'd go to Wal-Mart and get some airline tubing. The tube that comes with it is useless (It's like a foot long) and an air stone.

I also got a 6 pack of D batteries and keep them in the fridge to keep them fresh. I change the batteries when I set the clocks forward or backward like the smoke detector and CO2 alarm.

Also most important. When you hook up your pump, unplug it to make sure it comes on. There is an on/off switch on the side of the pump. If the switch is off the pump will not come on when the power goes out...check it!

crumbletop
07/19/2007, 05:10 AM
Here's a perty good thread I have bookmarked for kind of a DIY UPS that I believe outputs a true sinewave (to save things like return pumps), comes on automatically if the power goes out, and could power several items. I think this + the battery powered air pumps would be a good idea. I have neither. Hmmm. Always something new to do to the tank.... Maybe something like this will be my next project....

The pics are in this post:
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=6769839#post6769839

But the thread from the beginning is a good one, and only 5 pages.

fishdoc11
07/19/2007, 05:41 AM
I should say the reason I bought my pumps years ago was because aquaman67 posted a link to them:)
Glad to see you are comming home!

Chris

ocd_mariner
07/19/2007, 11:43 AM
Just popped up in the sps forums.

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1166120

Go buy your backups!

gflat65
07/19/2007, 05:25 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10369195#post10369195 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by DMBillies
It just kills me to spend a bunch of money on things that are just going to sit and do nothing 99% of the time. Of course, they immediately pay for themselves when you need them...

Isn't insurance nice;)?

NeveSSL
07/19/2007, 08:23 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10373930#post10373930 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by gflat65
Isn't insurance nice;)?

:lol: Good point!

Brandon

aquaman67
07/20/2007, 12:26 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10369901#post10369901 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by fishdoc11
I should say the reason I bought my pumps years ago was because aquaman67 posted a link to them:)
Glad to see you are comming home!

Chris

Thanks!

It's been 15 months with one more to go. I can't wait.

I'll see everyone soon. I looked at the meeting list and I'll be sure to make as many as I can!

KAiNE
07/20/2007, 07:51 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10373930#post10373930 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by gflat65
Isn't insurance nice;)?

Especially the kind you don't have to keep paying for every month!

gflat65
07/20/2007, 12:56 PM
Only one more. Great, Jack. Come home safe.

aquaman67
07/21/2007, 04:25 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10379426#post10379426 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by gflat65
Only one more. Great, Jack. Come home safe.

Thanks!

I see you moved...

gflat65
07/21/2007, 08:18 AM
Yeah, Jenn's job brought us down here. We're closer to her family, too, so we can think more about starting our own.

hesstondc
07/21/2007, 12:43 PM
I did the DIY ups thing listed above worked well for a while and then something fried my TPDT relay.....

Cost about $100 to build with the battery cost included.
Ran my mag 9 return for at least 4 hours