PDA

View Full Version : Saw some horrible tanks last week

rachelcb80
07/17/2007, 01:15 PM
I was on vacation with my family last week and we stopped in this small shop that advertised themselves as a public aquarium. I had my doubts going in but never thought it would be as terrible as it was. They had 5 saltwater tanks, 7-8 freshwater and 15 or so lizard/turtle displays. The first three SW tanks were 55g that were so full of hair algae you literally could not see the sand or walls. One tank was an Aipstasia display, nothing else in it (but all the algae). Another tank had a bunch of red mushrooms in it but many were shriveled and obviously near death. I'm guessing the algae was choking them out because there were several fish that didn't appear bothered by water quality. There was a pair of A. Percs that were so beautiful, I wanted to take them home so badly and let them live in a healthy tank. Another tank around the corner from that had a single Koran Angel, not sure how old but still had it's juvenile coloring. Not a single piece of rock or anything in that tank. Just some algae covered sand. The saddest fish I saw was a Sailfin, about 5 inches long. He was so skinny and was in the pretty advanced stages of HLLE. There wasn't a veggie clip in the tank so I'm pretty sure this poor guy never recieved any nori. That was the only tank without an algae problem, in fact there was nothing in that tank but a few pieces of totally bleached rock. I'm sure the poor tang ate whatever little algae he could find.

Part of me wanted so badly to tell these people what absolute idiots they were but I'm a very non-confrontational person so that side of me won. I just don't understand why they wouldn't take the time to learn how to keep a SW tank heathly. They were obviously interested in the hobby for them to keep a shop for public display. The FW displays weren't fabulous but they weren't as bad as the SW ones. I don't know anything about keeping lizards or turtles so I can't comment on their displays. (They had sticks and leaves and that sort of things)

I don't know what the rules are about saying where it was so I won't for now. I seriously doubt those people are on this forum but even if they were, I sure wouldn't be worried about hurting their feelings. They need someone to show them where they are wrong.

skeeter-doc
07/17/2007, 01:26 PM
wow, thats is sad, you should have said something, IMO, or at least ask them why the tanks looked like that

AquaReeferMan
07/17/2007, 01:30 PM
It's a shame but the fact is that its pretty common where ever I go, a lot of restaurants and small businesses especially, but even peoples houses. I feel so bad whenever I go to places that have saltwater tanks that are so badly neglected. I just dont get people sometimes. They have to know it doesnt look right.

rachelcb80
07/17/2007, 01:38 PM
They have to know it doesnt look right.

That's what I figure. They have to of seen other tanks and know that there's something wrong with theirs. Heck, even if the LFS was the only tanks they see, still have know all that algae isn't right. As far as the care of the fish go, that's another story. I know to many think it's just a bigger goldfish bowl. Throw 'em some flakes once a day and you're good to go. :( You actually have to care enough to do some research. But you'd think someone that made a "business" out of their tanks would have done some research.

skeeter-doc
07/17/2007, 01:44 PM
rachel, go and offer to clean their tanks and make a business out of it! show them pics of your tank, and say, this is what yours could look like too, if you cleaned it up!

old salty
07/17/2007, 04:14 PM
I have visited the Newport Aquarium in Kentucky on two separate occasions, and can assure you that their scientists aren't much better at keeping reefs than what you have described.

tripinpn01
07/17/2007, 05:00 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10357868#post10357868 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rachelcb80
I was on vacation with my family last week and we stopped in this small shop that advertised themselves as a public aquarium. I had my doubts going in but never thought it would be as terrible as it was. They had 5 saltwater tanks, 7-8 freshwater and 15 or so lizard/turtle displays. The first three SW tanks were 55g that were so full of hair algae you literally could not see the sand or walls. One tank was an Aipstasia display, nothing else in it (but all the algae). Another tank had a bunch of red mushrooms in it but many were shriveled and obviously near death. I'm guessing the algae was choking them out because there were several fish that didn't appear bothered by water quality. There was a pair of A. Percs that were so beautiful, I wanted to take them home so badly and let them live in a healthy tank. Another tank around the corner from that had a single Koran Angel, not sure how old but still had it's juvenile coloring. Not a single piece of rock or anything in that tank. Just some algae covered sand. The saddest fish I saw was a Sailfin, about 5 inches long. He was so skinny and was in the pretty advanced stages of HLLE. There wasn't a veggie clip in the tank so I'm pretty sure this poor guy never recieved any nori. That was the only tank without an algae problem, in fact there was nothing in that tank but a few pieces of totally bleached rock. I'm sure the poor tang ate whatever little algae he could find.

Part of me wanted so badly to tell these people what absolute idiots they were but I'm a very non-confrontational person so that side of me won. I just don't understand why they wouldn't take the time to learn how to keep a SW tank heathly. They were obviously interested in the hobby for them to keep a shop for public display. The FW displays weren't fabulous but they weren't as bad as the SW ones. I don't know anything about keeping lizards or turtles so I can't comment on their displays. (They had sticks and leaves and that sort of things)

I don't know what the rules are about saying where it was so I won't for now. I seriously doubt those people are on this forum but even if they were, I sure wouldn't be worried about hurting their feelings. They need someone to show them where they are wrong.

you sound like your describing my current tank... jk

i actually know what you mean. my lfs has some beautiful corals, especially their frogspawns, except for the fact that it is full of hair algae. i actually think a customer brought them in since they several of the same one in seperate tanks. it is really sad to look at, especially when you want to buy one of them.

OmarD
07/18/2007, 03:11 AM
Organize rescue mission...break in and clean out tanks...

Spray RC web address on front door!

Criminal#58369
07/18/2007, 07:56 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10362755#post10362755 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by OmarD
Organize rescue mission...break in and clean out tanks...

Spray RC web address on front door!
:lol: Someone might do that lol, i would go to them and ask them why they keep their tanks like that, and offer them help to get them whipped into shape, help a fellow reefer or lazy-reefer out.

rachelcb80
07/18/2007, 12:23 PM
Omar, I like your idea. In fact I can hear "Mission Impossible" music playing right now! :)

Going and talking to them or helping them out is not an option now. We were on vacation and it's about 400 miles from home. If it was someplace close I would of figured out a way to tactfully help them out. I just still don't understand why they wouldn't take it upon themselves to figure out how to better keep their tanks.

gillies
07/18/2007, 01:09 PM
Visited the NY Aquarium about a month back and saw similar conditions in some truely huge displays. Very sad indeed.