PDA

View Full Version : Tank cycled oh boy,,

torpedo101
07/17/2007, 10:36 AM
what is the line of order when getting a cleanup crew for a small tank..I am really needing some color too ..those rocks are becoming boring ..gonna wait another week or so to make sure I don t have another spike but looking to add someething ..leaning towards feather dusters etc. to begin anyone have any thoughts ..thanks mary:strooper:

c_stowers
07/17/2007, 01:24 PM
I would say that feather dusters are a good addition to your tank (assuming you don't want to get any copperband butterfly fish), but feather dusters aren't going to do very good as far as a cleanup crew. I'd recommend starting with a 10-20 blue leg hermits, 5-10 red leg hermits, 10-20 cerith snails, 3-5 turbo snails, and 10-20 nasuara (sp?) snails. After those guys settle in you can add a second wave of critters after you see where needs the most attention (glass, rockwork, or sand). You could also look into a serpent starfish.

crumbletop
07/17/2007, 02:42 PM
As luck would have it, I am going to post the details about a cleanup crew group buy that Emerald Bay is sponsoring for the August 4 meeting. I'll post the details a bit later today.

Pickupman66
07/17/2007, 02:58 PM
whichever you add, especially fish, do it slowly and not several at once to prevent a new spike as the bio load changes.

torpedo101
07/17/2007, 03:37 PM
great thanks jack ..

crumbletop
07/17/2007, 04:11 PM
no problem. Here is the link to the group buy:

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1164940

rcmike
07/17/2007, 05:32 PM
Feather dusters are filter feeders so I doubt they would do very well in a new tank unless you fed them constantly. Then you would have a lot of waste and that would pollute your tank easily. If it was me I would wait until the tank was well established before the feather dusters. You may not have to do any additional feeding after your tank is going well.