PDA

View Full Version : Help, Bristle-Tooth Tang looking very thin.

woodycb
07/14/2007, 09:59 PM
Could it be an internal parasite. He eats a ton when I feed, but he seems he is getting smaller for some reason.

Jerry W
07/14/2007, 10:44 PM
What are you feeding? How long have you had it and when did the problem become noticeable?
Internal parasites or an internal bacterial infection could be the problem.

Kati
07/15/2007, 01:35 AM
Maybe he is not getting enough "green stuff" tangs need a lot of sea weed kind of stuff. I recommend formula 2, and maybe some dried sea weed- I can't remember what kind I use... I'm no expert, but when tangs get skinny for no reason I have notcied that usually they are not being properly fed.

woodycb
07/15/2007, 05:58 AM
I feed frozen brine shrimp or frozen mysis shrimp every other night. I feed dried seaweed when ever I remember to throw some in there. I noticed it about a week ago and I have had him for a about 6mos. His behavior has not changed at all.

itsthesong
07/15/2007, 11:09 AM
I like to feed formula 2, frozen cube form, to my fish with the addition of mysis shrimp and garlixtreme (to boost immune system and appetite). I also supplement during the day with nori and romaine lettuce. I have found, especially with the tangs, it is best to always have something in the tank for them to snack on since they are grazers by nature.

Sk8r
07/15/2007, 11:12 AM
Second the formula 2: it has squid to attract fish, but has strong dose of veggies with lots of vitamins; also try soaking frozen mysis in Zoe brand amino acid soup: just received word from my lfs that Mr. Tang's 3rd owner finally got him cured of hlle by using that, and his eating habits were exactly what you describe---chowing down on mysis, which isn't at all what he needs.

Gary Majchrzak
07/15/2007, 11:12 AM
what type of Bristletooth Tang?
do you have algae growing on the surfaces of your aquarium?
Try feeding it more often.
I've had great results fattening Tangs up on HBH "Soft and Moist" sinking spirulina pellets.

See my Bristletooth Tang here:

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1163268

thor32766
07/15/2007, 11:32 AM
feed him romaine letteuce and nori everyday.

Gem Tang Rider
07/15/2007, 05:58 PM
I feed my achilles, chevron, & purple tangs mysis shrimp twice a day. Also nori twice a day on a feeding clip. Remember only as much as they can eat. You'll get the feel for it.

woodycb
07/15/2007, 07:52 PM
I do soak the frozen food with garlic extreme. I just fed 5min ago with seaweed on a clip and frozen mysis and he did not even look at the food. Now his fins are splitting its not looking good unless there is a treatment out there just in case it is a parasite. He was absolutely fine up until now with the way I was feeding, I figure there is something more going on.