PDA

View Full Version : Dust!!!

Looper121
09/24/2002, 01:30 PM
OK, I just converted to a DSB with Southdown. Now I can't seem to get rid of this fine dust (for the lack of a better word) that is floating around. My mechanical filtration and skimming doesn't seem to remove it. Do I get a finer filter pad, skim more/less? Take out one of the power heads?

Ace
09/24/2002, 01:41 PM
It might take a while but it will settle down. Just give it some time.

Ace

Looper121
09/24/2002, 01:49 PM
Well that is what I thought. It has been two months now and it seems to linger. Yes the water is crystal clear, but the fine strands just seem to flaot around not stop. Although, some of it seems to be attaching to the live rock.

Groucho
09/25/2002, 10:50 AM
Looper,

Not sure what you mean by "fine strands"

What kind of filter & skimmer are you using.

BTW - you might want to check out the Philly Area Reef Club
http://www.reefcentral.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=51

Russ
09/25/2002, 11:08 AM
It's been about 2 days since my SD sandstorm settled, and I have started to blast sand off the rocks w/a turkey-baster w/some sucess. I do notice that there is a persistant coating of SD over all the rock, despit my efforts... But, I think this is natural. I think there needs to be a little bit of a coating to get the bacteria going (???) . Anyway, some of the color is slowly returning, and the sponges that have appeared to survive are appearing more colorful.... so, I'm hopeful. But, it's only been 3 days or so. If I was at the 2 month mark like you, I'd be a little bit more concerned.