PDA

View Full Version : is this a majano anenome?

VWzealot
09/24/2002, 10:36 AM
i got this little guy who is about the size of nickel from a refugium kit, he was hidden in the macro algae. i noticed him right a way and put him under a little cave so he wouldn't get sunburned. he moved out into the light on its own. i started feeding it tiny pieces of krill. i thought it was a bubble tip and posted a pic of it in the clown and the anenome forum asking what i should be feeding it. i got an a lot of "KALK IT QUICK!!!" responses. i just wanted to make user i wasn't kalking and asking questions later. here it is about 2 weeks ago.

http://vwzealot.vwmafia.net/odd%20stuff/fish/new%20cam/anenome.jpg

i took this pick today with just the actinic lights on. to the left of it you can see lots of little tube worm looking creatures. are they its spawn? id say they wheren't there a week and half ago for sure. and 2 rocks over form the anenome there are like 3 more patchs of these tube worm like guys in bunchs of 7 or so. the tenticals or feathers(?) are very light and clear and wavey. is that what its spawn would look like. ive done a few searchs and im more than a little worried now :(.

http://vwzealot.vwmafia.net/pets/fish/isITbad.jpg

VWzealot
09/24/2002, 10:46 AM
here it is again with the 10k's turned on.

im sorry my hosting sever is so slow right now.

http://vwzealot.vwmafia.net/pets/fish/isITbad2.jpg

edwardlmarshall
09/24/2002, 07:32 PM
Looks like a BTA to me, but I'm no expert. If it is, it will not "spawn" but will eventually divide in two (at least mine did). However, first it will shrivel up like it's dead or possibly disappear for a day or so.

Mike_Noren
09/25/2002, 07:07 AM
Originally posted by VWzealot
i got this little guy who is about the size of nickel from a refugium kit,

I don't know what Dr Shimek thinks, but personally I'd say that's as typical a majano as any I've ever seen.

rshimek
09/25/2002, 10:35 AM
Hi,

Mike is correct. [thanks]

It is not an Entacmaea, but is rather the pest Anemonia majano. The "spawn" animals are not tube worms but rather are hydroids, and these particular animals are also pests. Both the anemone and the hydroids can- and will - aggressively sting and overgrow other animals in the tank.

:frog:

Jimbo
09/25/2002, 03:12 PM
Ok here is the million dollar question. Why is it that the "pest" anemones are hardy and grow like mad, and the desireable anemonies are hard to keep?
Kind of frustrating no?
Jim

Mike_Noren
09/25/2002, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by Jimbo
Ok here is the million dollar question. Why is it that the "pest" anemones are hardy and grow like mad, and the desireable anemonies are hard to keep?
Kind of frustrating no?
Jim

Because if the hard to keep anemones grew like mad they'd be pests... Pests/weeds are simply things that grow too well.

Anemonia majano, for instance, is beautiful - it's fluorescent green, with a pink tinge. I could well see it considered to be a very desirable anemone if it wasn't for the fact it grows a bit too well.

Many people now consider Xenia and Parazoanthus to be weeds - these once (and for many still) desirable creatures grow like mad in the right conditions...

VWzealot
09/26/2002, 09:11 AM
thanks for the id. how does it reproduce and become a pest? id like to keep it if can control the reproduction. does it split like the non pest anenomes? how be will they get and will they host a clown?

Laura D
09/26/2002, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by VWzealot
thanks for the id. how does it reproduce and become a pest?
They divide rapidly and spread out accross your rock and corals, stinging merrily as they go.
id like to keep it if can control the reproduction. does it split like the non pest anenomes? how be will they get and will they host a clown? There is no way to control the reproduction, they have never hosted clowns in any of my tanks, and they don't get much bigger than nickel size.

Please, if you plan to have corals, get rid of this guy now. I know it's kind of pretty, but in a year when you have a hundred of them and you have lost several nice corals to thier sting, you will be sorry. Trust me, I thought they were pretty and left them alone, now there is no going back for me, they are a constant headache

Mike_Noren
09/26/2002, 04:41 PM
However, it just struck me that fish-only-with-live-rock guys might want to consider A. majano. Could make a nice addition to their tanks.
It is, after all, a pretty and very easy to keep anemone.

Jimbo
09/26/2002, 05:07 PM
Hey Mike,
I understand what you're saying, but I'm talking about hardiness, not rate of reproduction.
Jim

arliet51
09/26/2002, 05:32 PM
Get rid of it now. I got one last year and, like you thought it was pretty. Now they cover about 1/3 of the live rick in my tank. I am going to have to remove all the rocks and kill everything to get rid of them. :-(

Arlie

Mike_Noren
09/26/2002, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by Jimbo
Hey Mike,
I understand what you're saying, but I'm talking about hardiness, not rate of reproduction.
Jim

Yeah, I just meant that fish-only guys don't have any corals to worry about, so the anemone can spread all it wants. But you're right, I don't know how hardy it really is - it may not be able to handle a fish-only-with-live-rock setup.