PDA

View Full Version : Detritus Eaters?

cham
07/12/2007, 08:21 PM
I have a 110 SPS tank with lots of flow in the display so I don't really get much or any detritus build up. My sump however is a different story. I get quite a bit of it settled on the bottom of my BB fuge and wondered if it will be harmful to my tank. Will this cause any issues?

Are there any consumers of this that I can buy for my fuge?

I do not want to use filter socks, I have in the past and it cleaned my water column too good. I've spent alot of time and $$$ getting my water full of living goodies and I don't want to remove them.

I run GFO, carbon and skim very wet with a modded ER.

DAMNAGE!
07/12/2007, 08:48 PM
I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM. TRY STICKING A POWERHEAD ATTACHED TO SOME TUBING AND PLACE DOWN IN THE AREA WERE THE DETRITUS IS. SUCK IT OUT OR JUST BLOW THE EXCESS AROUND TO STIR UP THE BAD STUFF.

Gdevine
07/12/2007, 10:05 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10329195#post10329195 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by DAMNAGE!
I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM. TRY STICKING A POWERHEAD ATTACHED TO SOME TUBING AND PLACE DOWN IN THE AREA WERE THE DETRITUS IS. SUCK IT OUT OR JUST BLOW THE EXCESS AROUND TO STIR UP THE BAD STUFF.

I agree on the "suck it out or just blow" strategy. It really works...on a number of levels;)

cham
07/13/2007, 06:19 AM
Once you stir it up what are you doing with it to remove it?

I would love to find some consumers of the stuff to keep it down to a low roar between sump cleanings.

Will it build up and cause nitrates or something?

undertai
07/13/2007, 06:58 AM
I know a tiger cucumber will, sand sifting sea stars, some hermits. But I think you might need a small layer of sand for the first 2. Only thing about the tiger's they split easily and if one dies it will release toxins. But not a big deal if you run carbon after the part you put the tigers in.

Example comparment 1 water from tank with sand bed and tiger. Compartment 2 carbon. Doesn't have to be right after just place before it gets returned to the display.

Serioussnaps
07/13/2007, 01:57 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10329731#post10329731 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Gdevine
I agree on the "suck it out or just blow" strategy. It really works...on a number of levels;)

Your killing me.:lol:

cham
07/13/2007, 02:00 PM
Don't really want to put any toxic animals in my tank.

Anyone know of others that will eat detritus?

seagirl
07/13/2007, 02:12 PM
i get the same problem in my bb tank/sump. i get a little pile in the display too, which is actually good b/c it all piles up in a corner and i can siphon it easily. I too would love to have a critter or 2 to take care of some detritus in sump and display, hopeully someone can recomend one.

three-spot
07/13/2007, 02:37 PM
http://avdil.gtri.gatech.edu/RCM/RCM/Aquarium/DetritusFilter.html

Best way to get it out of there IMO.

RichConley
07/13/2007, 04:28 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10329195#post10329195 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by DAMNAGE!

Thats a relatively small problem compared to a broken capslock key.

The Saltwater Kid
07/13/2007, 05:49 PM
Medusa worms are cool detritus eaters. They do get big though and I'm not sure if they require sand or not. I have a Tiger Tail cucumber that does a really good job in my main tank and whoever said they emit a toxin when they die I believe I was told that was a myth or at least the it hasn't been proven true in the Tiger Tail species.