PDA

View Full Version : New Det. Kits vs Scoop of Live sand

CaptainNemo
09/23/2002, 02:29 AM
Dr. Ron,

After doing searches on recharging a Sand Bed on this forum, I have come to the conclusion that you prefer to recharge a DSB by obtaining some good live sand instead of buying more detritivore kits. Is this correct? If so, where do you obtain somethin like that? IPSF or IA?

Thanks for any input. Im only two months into my DSB, and not ready to do such a treatment, but I guess it would be good to know for the future.

Thanks

Johnny

rshimek
09/23/2002, 03:18 PM
Hi Johnny,

The detritivore kits are good, and are known quantities, and do provide many of the basic critters. However, if you can get some good live sand, well collected and shipped directly to you from the collector, you stand a chance of getting some better diversity and additional beneficial animals.

On the down side, it is also possible to get some detrimental animals this way. However, such a possibility is slight. I think the best way to go is to have both detritivore kits and good live sand. However, if you are sure you have some of the basic necessary animals, good live sand is an excellent way to boost your system's diversity.

:D

CaptainNemo
09/23/2002, 11:17 PM
Dr. Ron,

Thanks for the reply. Does IA of IPSF sell the live sand I should be looking for, or should I look elsewhere, and if so, who?

Thanks

Johnny

rshimek
09/24/2002, 09:41 AM
Hi Johnny,

As far as I know, neither IPSF nor IA offers live sand.

I am afraid I can't recommend a vendor for live sand, as I haven't gotten any for quite some time.

KJHawley
09/24/2002, 08:59 PM
IA (Inland Aquatics) offers a "Microvert Starter Kit", which is described as "Innoculated Sand", for $9.99 per pound.
Check out the link here:
http://www.inlandaquatics.com/prod/tr_invert.html
The Microvert Starter Kit is fifth item from the bottom of the page.

CaptainNemo
09/24/2002, 10:37 PM
KJ,

Funny you mention that, as I just saw that earlier today, though I havent had time to call IA and find any info on exactly what that is.. In the meantime if anyone does know please reply.

Im wondering if its basically early stages of what they already sell, being that its inocculated sand. Not sure if that would give us that extra diversity we need, or at least for those that have bought the dev kits from them beforehand.

Thanks for the headsup and reply KJ.

Johnny

KJHawley
09/25/2002, 08:27 AM
I actually just ordered some "inoculated sand" from IA yesterday, along w/ a detritivore kit & some other stuff for my new DSB. It's arriving tommorrow- if it's anything other than good live sand, I'll let you know.

ChrisM
09/25/2002, 07:50 PM
I recently bought a pound of the IA microvert sand, and was less than impressed. There was a lot of large pieces of gravel and shell. The only visible life in it was a couple of snails, I think they are either Ilynassa obsoleta or some Nassarius sp. I was impressed with the fauna kit however.

Chris

pnosko
09/26/2002, 01:00 AM
Johnny, check out BillsReef (http://www.billsreef.com). I'm very happy with the LS I bought from him. A big plus is that is is southdown-based, unlike other places that call coarsely crushed coral "sand."

horge
09/27/2002, 01:07 AM
If a 'live sand' is marketed as innoculated sand, then that likely means it's basically sand that they seeded (possibly with the same starter-kit they also sell).

Nothing wrong with that,
But there is thus no diversity advantage over getting their starter kit, and making your own live sand, no?

In short, I think the advantage Ron is talking about is greater biodiversity from wild-collected live sand.

:)

CaptainNemo
09/27/2002, 09:47 AM
Thanks for all the replies. Horge, that is what I thought as well. Though Im in no rush at the moment, I will try to search such a collector out soon, and will post anything I find, Unfortunately right now time doesnt permit it.

If anyone else can add to this thread please do.

Thanks again

Johnny

KJHawley
09/29/2002, 12:21 AM
I just added my IA detritivore kit & innocluated sand a few days ago, & pretty much agree with all the previous posts about the sand. It is crushed coral based, so you probably don't want too much of it. It also had several of the same critters that the detritivore kit included- micro stars, bristle worms, etc. However, it did have several snails that weren't in the kit, & several other animals I haven't identified yet. I wouldn't want to fill my tank with it, but I'm glad I ordered it- I got a few extra specimens I knew I wanted, plus a few extras- not bad for ten bucks.