PDA

View Full Version : Fish/Cleaner Order

greenmonkey51
07/09/2007, 11:04 PM
My lfs can get me B&W clowns for half the price of online places, so I'm organizing an order with them where everyone picks up the fish in the bag. Since they don't have their saltwater system up yet. I need a few cleaners also, but I don't know how many I can safely add. The tank is a 75g thats been setup for 4 months with 125lbs of rock and 12 cerith snails. The main problem is, I'm putting the tank on a new stand tommorow so I have to take it down and reset it up. The order will be in a couple weeks probably so I'll have some time to make sure nothing is screwy. I'm going to add 2 B&W clown, how many snail could I add safely. Would 2 dozen be to many. What snails are good for hair algae.

backyardspecial
07/09/2007, 11:44 PM
I can give you a recommendation. Try like 3 mexican turbos, some astrea, and ceriths. The turbos eat like crazy but they tend to knock stuff over and they poop big. Astrea is another nice cleaner like turbo but just smaller. Try and have a lot of ceriths. They eat turbo snail and astrea snail poop along with algae and other stuff. In my opinion these 3 snails are the best.

As far as how many snails to get I don't know. Just have a few turbos, little more asteras, and good amount of cerith.

pikachusalad
07/09/2007, 11:49 PM
Margarita snails eat hair algae.

Red tip hermits also eat hair algae...but lots of people don't like crabs at all or only like scarlet hermits...and I'm not sure if scarlets eat hair algae.

But...off the topic of hair algae. If you have a sand bottom, I would suggest geting some nassarius snails - they're awesome to watch come tearing a$$ out of the sand when I put food in.

I also love my astrea snails (I think they're astreas - they're covered with coralline) - they even clean the rotating end on my powerhead - god knows how they get on there. AND they sometimes clean the output on the non-rotating powerhead - hanging on for dear life...determined little buggers. Only problem is I have to flip one or two a week who have fallen on their backs.